Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Aug 14, 2005, 10:07 PM   #1

I just browsed a reliable online camera store (they just happen to have a retail store 2 miles from my home), and noticed that they are offering the Canon S1 for $226. It might be available for less at other stores, but at $226, it is almost being given away. Granted, the S1 has some shortcomings, but it is still a techno-marvel in the present day camera world. I paid far more than that for an S200 when it first hit the market, and they are not even in the same class as the S1. Amazing....

No matter how many relative flaws show up in a comparison between the S1 and the most recent crop of prosumer cameras, the S1 is still a modern marvel of the photographic art, and offers the benefit of using CF memory cards that are both cheap and reliable. The first 1 gig CF card I ever bought cost nearly as much a few years ago as a new S1 costs today. Now, CF cards are cheap, reliable, and are available in sizes that hard drives couldn't match a decade ago.

If you are on a budget, and can't justify spending nearly five hundred Dollars on an S2 or one of it's competitors, buy a new S1 for cheap, and be very happy until you can either justify or afford an upgrade down the road in a few years. I suspect that they are being dumped below cost just to get them out of the system, and make more room for the S2 and it's successor.

Even as a backup camera for those who own the latest and greatest digital wonder, I can't think of anything that comes close at the current price. If you are looking, get one before they are all gone.

Voyager
Voyager13b is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 15, 2005, 7:32 AM   #2

Would you buy an S1 that is "refurbished by Canon"?

How about used (rating of 10) from B&H?

Your post was very helpful!
powerShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2005, 7:06 AM   #3

The S1 is an awesome camera. I carry it along with my dSLR. It does have problems focusing in low light but if you don't take zoom shots in low light then this camera is for you. Particularly now at the low prices (low because it's been replaced by the S2.)
mrcoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2005, 3:23 AM   #4

At the current firesale price of a new S1, I might stay with a new one, as opposed to a refurb. Then again, if a refurb were available with a warranty for $150, I would buy it. I bought the S2 when it first came out, and I think it's the best all around camera I have ever had in my hands.

That said, I bought a new (cheap) S1 from Beach camera as a backup, and I like it. The S2 is in a different class for a number of reasons, but the S1 is an awesome photo tool at the current price, and it would be tough to match it feature for feature with another brand, without adding lots of money to the pile. Where else can you match the quality and specs of the S1 at the price of a throw away beginner cam?
Voyager13b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2005, 12:05 PM   #5

I agree that bang for the buck this could be it now.

I paid 349 around a year ago. It is a great camera and now being superceeded by the S2, the price is killer.

Kavoom
Kavoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2005, 6:12 PM   #6

My local Wal mart had a canon S1 on clearance for $110 .Not sure if all the stores have it for this price..HTH
britchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2005, 7:03 PM   #7

I am jealous bought mine at Walmart for 300.00 Canadian last week after my wife dropped our A80
Croman is offline   Reply With Quote