Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Aug 24, 2005, 2:56 AM   #1

I got the new S2 a week ago, and loved it. However, something is happening to the pictures. They're broken up, with various sections of the image displaced, or just a black/grey/multicolored band across the top or bottom. (I can attatch an example later if needed.)
I'm using an older iBook running 10.3.9 and a new card-reader, and everything seemed to be fine as long as I didn't use more than a quarter of the 512MB card. Some of the pictures wouldn't show up on my computer, even though I could view them just fine on my camera. "Preview" would give a corrupted-data message, and the picture would never open on my computer. Putting the card back in the camera, they would display in thumbnail view, but not any other. If I tried to view them larger, I would get another corrupted-data message.
I returned to the camera store, and was able to get a new card, filled it, and everything was fine. I reformatted the card, and assumed everything was fixed. Later, after I took about 20 pictures, I went to download them to my computer, and several were split and distorted. I plugged the reader into a Windows XP laptop, and all but one of the pictures recovered. Back in my computer, they were fine, too (except the one). That one won't even display in the camera- it just appears as a question mark, and says "corrupted data".

This seems like it might be a firmware/software issue... perhaps missing drivers? Has anyone else had this problem? Or any suggestions?

Thank you so much! (And sorry it's so long...)

-bouncinglime
bouncinglime is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 24, 2005, 4:11 AM   #2

I would have said that you have a faulty card, but since you swopped it out already, it must be another problem.

Either your camera, or computer is corrupting the data.

Try the following:

1. Take some pictures, and view all of them on the camera. If there are any corruptions, then its the camera. If not ...

2. Connect the camera to the computer and copy the images. If there are corruptions, its your computer, if not...

3. Put the card in the card reader, and copy them. If there are corruptions now,its thecard reader.

It may also be the specific usb port.

After reading your post again, it sounds likecomputer problem. I dont have any mac experience, so I cant help you there.

Carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2005, 2:29 PM   #3

The pictures look fine on the camera right at first. Sometimes, when I read them off the card on the computer, they appear corrupted (same after downloading them). After this, they appear corrupted on the camera as well.
Some of the files that appeared corrupted on my Mac did not appear corrupted on a Windows computer, even though I was using the same card reader. Those fixed files then appeared, fixed, on my computer when I plugged the reader back in.

Does that help clarify? It's all really strange and makes no sense to me...

Thanks!

-bouncinglime
Old Aug 25, 2005, 1:45 AM   #4

The best way to solve this problem is;

To go back to the shop with the camera.

To take photos there.

Transfer the photos to their PC.

If all go well - the problem is with your PC or connections to PC.

If you get again the faulty photos - something wrong with the camera and it should be replaced without any doubt or explanations.

PS. Maybe.. this is another"type" of theCard Error which was/is experienced by many S2IS users...

Rachel2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2005, 11:46 AM   #5

I did take a full card of pictures in the store, and they all worked just fine on my computer. (The classic, and entirely unhelpful, case.) The problem is, I bought the camera in California, live in West Virginia, and go to school in Pennsylvania. And they guy who sold me the camera didn't seem to care about my problem, so we ended up talking to someone else who was a bit more helpful in that he admitted that he'd never heard of anything like it.
What's the "Card Error" that other people have been having? I haven't gotten any direct error messages, just the broken pictures.

Thanks!

-bouncinglime
Old Aug 26, 2005, 1:46 PM   #6

Well, of all the posts I read, you are the only one with this problem. And it seems that your computer is at fault. Either your OS, usb port, or even maybe HD.
Carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2005, 3:28 PM   #7

bouncinglime wrote:
Quote:
After this, they appear corrupted on the camera as well.

That is because once they are corrupt on the PC they are being saved back to the camera (currupted). Try a different USB port on the PC or a different USB cable. The fact they look ok on the camera eliminates the card as the problem. Other than that there is a remote possibility the USB interface on the camera is defective. I would guess it is the PC or the cable.
dadof4 is offline   Reply With Quote