Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Aug 26, 2005, 10:42 PM   #1

of course, this could have something to do with the fact that i dropped the thing. everything else is working but the display.

i'm not even sure it's worth repairing as the last repair (someone else dropped it and the damage was worse) cost $175. (they paid for it.)

is it something i could fix myself if one of you kind people out there told me how? it's taking excellent photos but with the LCD not working, i can't even see the menu.

if no-one can walk me through the repair, any suggestions for a Canon repair place in Los Angeles where i won't get ripped off?

thanx.
gbtbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 31, 2005, 5:31 PM   #2

I recently replaced my S30 LCD screen, but it took some work.

First download the S30 parts manual from http://www.micro-tools.com/pdf/Canon...SHOT%20S30.PDF
which will give you an idea of how the internal workings of the camera fit together, plus you will need to know the part number to order from the Canon parts store in NJ. I think the part is WG2-5219-000, but when you talk with the rep at the service center, be sure to confirm this. I picked one up for around $42 bucks. The number is (732) 521-7230.

Be sure to have a small philips head screw driver; i picked up a set from Radio Shak for less than $7. You want to have enough torque so that you don't strip away the head.

Once you have your parts and tools, set away at taking the casing apart. It's relatively straightfoward, but be sure to make note of where each screw goes, as they are different sizes even though they apear similar. I made that mistake, and now my camera doesn't fit together as snug as I'd like.

When you take off the front casing, be careful not to detach the ribbon from the camera body, this will be a pain to fit back together. You will however need to detach the LCD ribbon, very delicately so as to not break the white casing it connects to.

As you can tell, I'm no expert, I just fiddled enough around to be dangerous. I hope I gave you enough information to avoid some pitfalls I encountered.
jnewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2005, 8:10 PM   #3

thanx so much for that advice, jnewell. i will download that manual and order the part.

when you replaced your screen, was it cracked (mine isn't) or had it just stopped working (like mine) because you dropped the camera?

i'm not sure why the screen isn't working--obviously it's because the camera was dropped but i'm not sure what was broken. i guess i should just open it up and see if anything is detached or broken.
gbtbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2005, 11:52 AM   #4

Yes it was cracked, but not from the drop. I only discovered the crack after opening up the camera. Hopefully it will be that obvious when you take a look

--

jn
jnewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2007, 8:03 PM   #5

gbtbag, were you able to fix this? I am hesitating to replace the LCD since it is not broken too. Please advise. Thanks.
mmenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2008, 7:20 PM   #6

I bought an LCD from a guy online and found directions.

http://www.sdcamerasolution.com/inde...ns30lcdinstall

It was an easy repair. Better than buying a new camera!
donchong is offline   Reply With Quote