Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Aug 29, 2005, 12:13 PM   #1

Argos uk selling Canon A 85 off at £100, thought it might be good value to use as a work horse /left in the car camera to have insted of using my more expensive nice casioP 600 ,only use this for occasions, ie dont want it dropped / stolen brilliant cameracanon lens . Any advice if they are any good at this price seems best value /decent camera i can find , any other sujestions at this price would be welcome , only worry is the E 18 error i have seen mentioned , does the A85 lens have this problem at all ?thanks for advice ,
rodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 2, 2005, 3:08 PM   #2

I think a good cheap "second" camera would be the SD200. It's available for as little as $150.
sbddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2005, 11:58 AM   #3

I bought an A85 earlier this year and I have mixed feelings. Nearly half ofall my photos are blurry. (The other halfare fantastic.) I've heard a lot of advice on the subject, from turning the AiAF function off to raising the ISO, and nothing has made a drastic improvement. My problem is likely camera shake but I'm not sure how to fix that. I've got relatively steady hands and obviously using a tripod on the fly is a ridiculous idea. (Most of my shots are taken in casual, social settings where there's no time for set-up, posing, etc.) The blur factor is especially brutal when you shut the flash off. The shutter speed is automatically adjusted in most shooting modes and it's impossible to stay perfectly still long enough to capture a clear picture.

Granted, I'm still learning, but using a regular camera was never this difficult. If I was buying another digital I don't think I'd get an A85.

Boldstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2005, 5:48 PM   #4

Are you shooting in bright daylight? If so the photos shouldn't be blurry. Only in low light should you have a problem with blur, because the camera needs more time to allow enough light in to take a picture. Post some sample images if you can.

I've always found in order to get sharp photos in low light it is good to use a tripod, and also use a 2sec delay, since pressing shutter button can shake the camera.

As far as indoors, I've always found you have to use the flash. If you don't want to use flash, you will have to use a tripod or rest the camera on a surface so it won't move. The only kind of digital cameras that can get away with taking handheld shots without flash in low light are the DSLRs, since they have bigger sensors, they can use a much higher ISO without noise being a problem.

If you hate your A85 so much I'll take it.:lol:I don't care for the new Canon cameras, main sticking point is that I use CF and they switched to SD.

pineywoodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2005, 10:10 AM   #5

Don't get me wrong, I still like the camera. It's given me lots of good shots, and it's great being able to snap a hundred pics without worring about wasting film.

Turning off the AiAF has helped, but I like your 2-second delay suggestion. I'll definitely try that. I'm sure half of my camera shake happens when I press the button.

I normally use the flash indoors, even though the pics don't come out looking very natural. (Sometimes no flash looks better except for the blur.) Sunday was frustrating as I was taking some outdoor Fall shots while walking the dog. I thought it was bright enough but they still weren't very clear. (I'll try to post some examples later today.)

It's an ongoing battle I suppose, and a learning experience.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 12:22 AM   #6

pineywoodsman wrote:
Quote:
Post some sample images if you can.
An example of a pic I thought I'd focussed right. Like I said before, some pics turned out awesome, most turned out blurry. AiAF off, trying to hold still while I snapped the photo.