Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Sep 16, 2005, 9:43 AM   #11

UPDATE: I went back to Best Buy with camera #2. Of course, the same batteries that wouldn't turn the camera on at my house worked flawlessly 45 minutes later when I got to Best Buy. But they gave me a new camera anyway, apparently believing me about the battery situation.

So now I have the 3rd camera!!! So far (2 weeks) I have not had any battrey problems. I continue to use the same NIMH batteries I used in the other cameras. I hope everyone else who has had this problem is able to resolve it. It's really tough in that is does not happen consistently.
Roobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2005, 9:46 AM   #12

Hi, Furd: please see my posted update. By the way, I live in Oakland, CA. I am using Sony NIMH and Duracell. -Roobin
Old Sep 16, 2005, 11:26 AM   #13

Sorry to hear about your problems Guys. Perhaps there was a faulty batch produced by Canon.

So far (after 6 weeks) I'm happy to say I havent had the same problem with my S2.
Shaun Geraghty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2005, 1:03 AM   #14

Shaun,

Good to know that you haven't had problems.....gives me hope that my 3rd camera will work out. I've also wondered if it was a faulty batch. --Roobin
Old Sep 17, 2005, 1:47 AM   #15

Canon state that if you use a mains adaptor it should be 7.4 volte at 2 amps. I have used a 7.5 volt 1250 ma adaptor with complete success. I think I`ll measure the current flow in the static, zoom, and operating conditions, see if there is any heavy current flow.
geriatric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2005, 4:18 PM   #16

Ah, I'm not alone. I too suddenly get the "Change the Batteries" notice. Fresh batteries won't fix it. Luckily I have the AC adaptor. Hook that up and the camera works fine. Then when I try it again without the adaptor the same batteries work fine. I've shot hundreds of pictures with them.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"The problem seems to happen randomly for me. I bought mine at Circuit City. Guess I'd better check out their exchange policy.
Bomji23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2005, 12:32 AM   #17

Just curious....how long did it take for your camera start having these problems? As you may know from reading the above posts, I am now on my third S2 IS, and I finally seems to have gotten one that does NOT have the battery problem (though I hope I'm not speaking too soon).
Old Sep 19, 2005, 5:47 PM   #18

I bought the camera in early June and the problem started a couple of weeks ago. One thing I just started doing is wiping the ends of the batteries off with my shirt before putting them in the camera. In case oils from handling contribute to the problem. I'll let you know if it helps in the long run.
Old Oct 8, 2005, 12:06 AM   #19

The other day, I experienced this problem, but after opening the battery compartment and reinserting the same NiMH batteries the problem went away. After a weeks use the batteries just ran flat today, and a fresh set (different brand) went in with no problems. I suspect my original problem was due to the battery or camera terminals being comtaminated or just not making good contact. The terminals in the camera seem quite puny, perhaps try wiping them off along with the batteries - be careful though.
mchnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2005, 7:47 PM   #20

Since I have been wiping off the ends of the batteriesbefore putting them in the camera I haven'thad the problem since. May be luck, but so far so good.