Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Nov 20, 2005, 12:31 PM   #21

I just found these posts on the battery problem on the Canon S2 IS. I have the same problem. Are there any updates to this discussion?
DekeRivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2005, 6:20 PM   #22

I too have had this problem repeatedly. I bought mine at Best Buy in Eau Claire Wisconson. It has has the problem with rechargable and non-rechargables. It sometimes works after a power cycle, after wetting the ends of the batteries, after switching to the set that didn't work the day before. A pain in the but. Those of you that sent yours in, what did they do to fix it? Any idea? I think it is the battery cover ... I don't think it provides very good connectivity to the battery. Please let me know.
jnatsteves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2005, 1:04 PM   #23

I returned it to Best Buy and got a brand new camera, and after a few days, it started doing it too. I don't know whether it is me or what.
DekeRivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2005, 3:55 PM   #24

Gidday

Since i have had the S2 (7 months)i have used Energiser 2500nimhs and had no problem.I have 4 sets of them and a charger that will show individual status(kaput,charging or charged)One bad battery will cause problems so a good charger is a must and minimum 2 sets of batteries of good brand(Energiser , Powerex,Sony ,ect.) A good charger i have read of is the Maha,which also provides trickle charging.

A lot of people have solved battery problems by getting rid of mixed,old,homebrand and lower Ah batteries and good charger

Good luck Dom
roxydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2005, 7:42 PM   #25

I have had the problem with rechargeable batteries and non-rechargables. My rechargables are Energizer but I see they are 1200 ma. I don't have a charger that identifies bad batteries but have tested them all and even on failure the batteries individually test just fine. I have never had this problem with any other electrical device that runs on batteries that I use/buy. I think there is some sensitivity with the camera. I am going to contact Canon to see what they say.
Old Dec 13, 2005, 2:45 PM   #26

Ihave been reading this thread with interest. I just bought an S2 IS a few days ago and am having this problem already. Cleaning the terminals seems to work. (but for how long?)

I have had the same thing with a Canon A70, so it's a Canon problem, not just S2 IS.
JockScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 8:29 PM   #27

I did contact Canon and they said .. "Based on what you have explained, this pinpoints a hardware issue with the camera. We recommend sending the camera to service to have this fixed."

So now I need to decide if I want to send it in to them to fix or go back to Best Buy and see if they will just exchange it. That would be quicker, but it sounds like some of the new ones have the same problem. style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000" Too bad.
Old Dec 14, 2005, 1:43 PM   #28

Hi Guys,

From reading this thread it sounds like Canon have produced a duff batch. I've had mine since June with no battery problem at all. On the contrary I generally change my batteries because I think it's about time, rather than have a need to, as they last so long. Just for info I use Uniross 2500NiMh batteries (just an average make in the UK). A possible suggestion; compare serial numbers to see if there is a batch issue. I hope Canon sorts the problem soon.

Regards

YT
YorkshireTaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2005, 8:11 PM   #29

try doing a reset.* hold down your MENU button for 5 seconds.*
dneese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2005, 12:58 PM   #30

I really have never had this issue with my camera. It has now over 1300 shots on it and one set of 2500mAh Sony batteries lasted me for over 300 shots including more or less 5 minutes of video (I almos filled my 2GB SD card with flash / no flash pictures and still have charge on the batteries). I also use 2100mAh Panasonic batteries and they also work great.

I would really not recommend using Ni-Cd batteries or NiMh batteries under 1700mAh, it's just not worth it anymore as I pay under 20 US for 6 Sony 2500mAh batteries (and I think this is expensive but it's my best choice in Mexico).

As far as the use of the camera, I normally use it in dry conditions, but I've used it once or twice in quite humid climate, and the terminals seem to be of good quality, so I don't think that's an issue.

Regards
schmiedel is offline   Reply With Quote