Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 7, 2006, 6:31 PM   #31

geriatric wrote:
Quote:
Canon state that if you use a mains adaptor it should be 7.4 volte at 2 amps. I have used a 7.5 volt 1250 ma adaptor with complete success. I think I`ll measure the current flow in the static, zoom, and operating conditions, see if there is any heavy current flow.
I think this is the problem, if you think about all the functions it does at startup. The part that i dont understand is why the lense needs to come out so soon? it needs a delay after it turns on and boots up it should monitor battery power before the lense does its thing.

This is to much amp draw so quickly from a few AA batteries that more or less make connection with the top of to needles.

I think the NIMH are the better batteries to use because the tops are made from a softer metal. The first thing i did when i got mine was insert the batteries that came with the camera and i noticed it had problems from the get go. WHen i cleaned the tops of the batteries it started to work and i could take images with it.

I got some NIMH and scuffed up the tops first thing and i noticed they are made from a softer metal that can make a better connection.

Isnt there a conductive grease or somthing we can get and dab a little on the contacts?

Can i ask somthing? why do we need cameras so small? Why cant they build a camera that run 4 AA batteries? 2 in series. If we only need 3 volts to power them use 4 but put 2 of em in series so they have the amps to back up the amp draw.

Whats better? a small camera or a reliable one?
BowerR64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2006, 10:01 PM   #32

BowerR64 wrote:
Quote:
geriatric wrote:
Quote:
Canon state that if you use a mains adaptor it should be 7.4 volte at 2 amps. I have used a 7.5 volt 1250 ma adaptor with complete success. I think I`ll measure the current flow in the static, zoom, and operating conditions, see if there is any heavy current flow.
Quote:
Can i ask somthing? why do we need cameras so small? Why cant they build a camera that run 4 AA batteries? 2 in series. If we only need 3 volts to power them use 4 but put 2 of em in series so they have the amps to back up the amp draw.

Whats better? a small camera or a reliable one?
Quote:
They did! The S1. I hope Canon resolves this apparent issue for you guys. Our S1 has been absolutely flawless forover a yearand THOUSANDS of photos. I'm glad I decided not to pick one up for it's speed over the S1. Picked up a Rebel XT instead. :blah:LOL
Bulldogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2006, 10:56 PM   #33

I took my camera back to Best Buy and they gave me brand new camera without any argument. Then I got the same problem within 48 hours. It shut down and said to install new batteries.

The people at BB suggested I try alkaline batteries instead of the NiMH. I did, and I've not had a problem since. I've taken several hundred pictures, and only now are the batteries running low. So I will replace them, probably with alkaline batteries, since they seem to work without a problem.

The funny thing is I had the first camera for 6 months and never had a problem. Initially I used alkaline, but after a few months I switched to NiMH. I don't know this for sure, but it could be that the problem started only when I started using the NiMH batteries.

Anyway, try alkaline batteries and see if they work.
DekeRivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2006, 6:22 AM   #34

I've had my S2 for 2 weeks now. Started using the alkaline batteries in the box then bought a new set of PowerEx 2500 NiMH batteries. I use the camera almost everyday and have not had any problems. Guess the ones made with a problem were not widespread.

Great camera by the way.
mrcoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2006, 11:48 AM   #35

I've had my S2 for two weeks. New Energizer alkalines work, New Energizer NiMH 2500 mAh don't work. For those of you who sent your camera to Canon and got a good one back that works with NiMH, what did they do to your camera? Something that the rest of us can do at home?
-Steve
:sad:

Another thought: 4 alkaline batteries yield 6 volts. 4 NiMH batteries yield 4.8 volts, because of their chemistry. Maybe Canon set the volt meter in the S2 slightly too sensitive, cutting off at less then, say, 5 volts, causing the NiMH to be rejected most of the time. Only problem with this theory is: why don't we see the "low voltage" indicator for NiMH batteries (i.e. the half-filled battery icon), instead of what we are getting: "change battery pack"??
:?:

Remember, in some earlier cameras you actually had to tell the camera which type of battery you were using. Could it be that Canon's battery auto-detect hardware/software in the S2 (and by the way, this was also a problem for my A80, and JockScott's A70 - see above) just ain't working right?? Are we all beta-testers here? sorry, just a little frustrated...
-Steve
s2pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2006, 12:55 PM   #36

s2pain says "New Energizer NiMH 2500 mAh don't work." I put these batteries in the S2 IS a while back, and they seem to work fine, while brand new alkalines didn't work!

I doubt if we'll get any answers to this battery problem any time soon since everyone is getting different results from different trial solutions.
JockScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2006, 2:13 PM   #37

s2pain says "New Energizer NiMH 2500 mAh don't work." - I use Energizer NiMH 2500 mAh with a MAHA MH-C401MS charger in both an S2 and A80. I'm really pleased with the performance of the Energizers. Energizers rated the best in a New Zealand Consumers Institute consumer test. I've cycled these batteries about five times already - never had a single problem.

All batteries I've tried work. I've never had batteries fail if I give the terminals a vigourous wipe before putting them in the camera. I suspect not wiping off the batteries might contaminate the terminals in the camera, so this could be the cause of continued problems. As I reported earlier in this thread, I did have a set of batteries fail initially when I hadn't wiped them off - they worked fine the next day.

mchnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2006, 6:23 PM   #38

2 pages of coming to the same conclusion. Have you considered that NZ znd Oz are at the bottom of the planet. Corona and electron effects are opposite of the U.S......try holding camera upside down when startng up.
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 2:33 AM   #39

Ive had my S2 for two weeks now & have taken around 800 shots on one set of old 2500 ma NiMH batteries from my previous camera. Only recharged them once.

this problem doesnt seem to be happening with Cameras in the Southern hemisphere. Its got to be bad batch in the US only.

love the camera!!
gtpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 12:03 PM   #40

^One more reason I'm glad to be Canadian. :blah:Just playin'.
Bulldogger is offline   Reply With Quote