Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Sep 3, 2005, 1:02 AM   #1

Just got my IS I2 a couple of weeks ago and already had to return it due to a battery /power problem. Now, the replacement model is doing the same thing!! Has anyone else experienced the follow problem?

I put in newly charged Nimh batteries and shoot away. No problems, no low battery icon. Then, I turn off the camera, go to turn in on again laterin the "shooting" mode (as opposed to the "view pictures mode") andthe lens won't extend and I get the "change batteries" message. However, there is plenty of power left to VIEW photos. And, my battery tester says they still have plenty of juice.

So I put in new batteries, turn it on in the shooting mode, and then thelens extends. Because I wasn't convinced that the first set of batteries was dead, I put themBACK in the camera and they work just fine. In fact, they are so fine that I can shoot 20 flash photos in a row!!!

Thinking there must be something wrong with my equipment, I have gone out and purchased new batteries (2300 mah) and a new charger. No matter which batteries I use, I keep having this problem.

It is hard to believe I have brought home 2 lemons. But I have owned 2 other digital cameras and have been using Nimh batteries for years, and have never had this problem.

I just don't get what is going on. Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone have any ideas about what might be wrong? I called Canon and all they said to do was clean the battery terminals. Yeah, right. I love the camera, but this is crazy.

Roobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 3, 2005, 8:10 AM   #2

ROOBIN

I am experiencing the same problem.
I sent a request to Canon Tech Support. One other thing I noticed, If you have the problem, turn the camera off, then back on. I twill be ok for the day, then the next day I have the same problem. It is NOT your camera, I believe it is a firmware issue.

I will post Canon's reply if any. Please keep me posted on anything you learn about this.

Otherwise it is a great camera.

Bob
robrizok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2005, 10:22 AM   #3

Thanks, Bob, for your info. You are lucky in that you can at least turn your camera off, then back on. I've tried that, but the camera still doesn't work.

The only way I can get it to work again is by putting in freshly charged batteries. Or,I canlick each end of the supposedly deadbatteries -- this is a trick that will work with any kind of battery, as the moisture provides addtiional conductivity. Once I do that, the same batteries that were supposedly dead work just fine. Grrrrr.

Yes, let's keep each other posted. I am going to take my camera back to Best Buy and I guess they have their own technicians who will look at it.

--Roobin
Old Sep 3, 2005, 10:42 AM   #4

Roobin - Thanks for the additional info. My problem is interesting in that after the initial "won't turn-on" it is then good for the day. Next day it won't turn on the first time.

Stay tuned

Bob

Old Sep 3, 2005, 11:10 AM   #5

Hey, Bob....now that you metion the "next day" phenomenon,it does seem that there is somewhat of a correlation between how long the camera sits unused and the lilkihood it won't turn on again. -Roobin
Old Sep 3, 2005, 2:56 PM   #6

Roobin -

I just received a note back form Canon support - They said they were " sorry to hear about my problem" and to:

"Please send your camera to the following address:
Canon Factory Service
1440 Chase Ave.
Elk Grove Village, IL 60007

Telephone: (630) 250-6500
Business hours: 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (Central) Monday-Friday"

I will wait until I have a window of time that I will not need the Camera.

Bob
Old Sep 3, 2005, 3:12 PM   #7

Hi, Bob -- I called Canon again and they said the same thing. I'm going to try to exchange it again at Best Buy. I would sure like to know if anyone else has had this problem. --Roobin
Old Sep 4, 2005, 8:32 PM   #8

Hi!

I bought it for just more than a month, and just have time to try it.
I experience this problem also. The symptoms are just like what you guys said. I emailed Canon, what they said is

"Please try to clean the battery contacts with a pencil eraser. If this
does not work, then a fresh set of batteries should be tried.Unfortunately,
if the issue still persists, then the camera may require
service."

I did that eraser thing and it works fine now. However, I suspect it would still be a
problem next time. This is my first time buying a more professional Canon camera.
It gives me a bad impression. This is not fun. I still cannot get good pictures too.
:sad: Please post me more if you have any further update, thanks.

update: power up again , after 30s shots died, then use eraser, then power up again.

nwiwatwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2005, 12:22 AM   #9

:? Curiosity has gotten the best of me on this one. I am wondering what is common between those of you who are having battery problems, or is it the camera. Do you live in a corrosive invironment, like near the salt water or maybe some manmade corrsive atmosphere, is the humidity high? Are you using the same brand of battery and chargers?
Is there a remote possibilty the camera's came from the same distributer?
My wife has a Canon S2 IS and it performs flawlessly on Energizer 2500 ma NiMH batteries.
Once your problem is resolved please post the solution.
Al
Furd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2005, 5:31 PM   #10

The problem is not reproduced for these days I am using (occasionally), no need using eraser either. It just works. I'm kinda worried about the problem that is not permanent like this.

Furd question

I live in Michigan. bought from Dell. I haven't bought the rechargeable batteries yet. I just used the one came with the package.
nwiwatwa is offline   Reply With Quote