Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Sep 3, 2005, 4:34 AM   #1

I recently bought an Ixus 50, and after reading all the advice here bought a Sandisk SD card (256MB). I'm glad I found this forum, after reading the problems people have had with some SD cards in Canons. Thanks for all the information!

However, I see from my camera's manual that I'm supposed to format it before use. Is this necessary? I didn't format the 16MB card that came with the camera, and I've started using this new card without formatting it. Should I format the cards? If they've already been formatted at the factory, is there some advantage to reformatting in the camera?

The pictures on both cards are saved on my computer, so it wouldn't be a problem to format the cards if necessary.

Annette is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 3, 2005, 9:22 PM   #2

Don't be afraid to format your SD card(s). I do it every time I dump all the photos to my computer. It will take your camera just a few seconds, and clears any old folders that may have been created, which maintains the card's optimum speed. When you just erase all the photos, they're really still on the card, but each file name has had its first letter removed, so the files can't be read. Leaving them on the card may cause new files to be fragmented, slowing the card down and perhaps causing errors.

Regards,

Dean
Lutz, FL
G6, S410, S2
dcains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2005, 5:33 AM   #3

Thanks very much dcains. It didn't occur to me there would be performance benefits in reformatting from time to time.

Annette is offline   Reply With Quote