Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Feb 6, 2003, 9:38 PM   #11

MentorRon:

Thank you for the RE.

I was unable to download a larger sized image in both Mozilla 1.2.1 (my prefered browser) or IE 6.0. I did not get any sort of enlargement icon in the bottom right hand corner of the pic. Am I missing something here? Could you please provide some better instructions as I am VERY interested in more carefully examining the full sized pic.

I did examine the smaller sized pic in Irfanview 3.80 (a greate little app). The " brown blob" above the stones is an area of very low contrast in the greenery as you have pointed out. In my pics, these areas that I refer to as "blurry blobs" are of such low contrast that the pixles appear "smeared" or "blurry" as is a Gaussian blur was applied to the pixles blending them together. This usually occurs in vegetaion but not man-made objects.

Does this make sense?

Once aggain if you could give better instructions on downloading her full sized image I would appreciate that.

Thanks again.

Steve
srhaymes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2003, 11:52 PM   #12

I am using IE 6.0, and I simply click on the URL
http://www.healaddiction.org/IMG_0148.JPG
This displays a "preview" sized picture of 546x410 pixels (these dimensions are strictly related to the current I.E. window's size on your display: change to area occupied by the window and the dimensions of the pic change as well: the file size stays at 2915771 pixels. Just within the top left hand corner of the image, only when I move my pointer there, is the "save" icon with imbedded icons of floppy disk, printer, envelope and folder for outputting the image displayed. If I then move my pointer to the diagonally opposite corner, just inside the frame, in a few secs I get the other icon for expanding the displayed image to full size (a square box with imbedded arrows pointing to each edge of the box). I click on this box as soon as it appears and I get the full size picture. I do the same thing on the large picture to resize it smaller again. I can save to hard disk by right-clicking within the frame in either sized view and it saves the 2915771 picture, which displays as full size unless I resize it with the plus or minus icons in the Irfanview tool bar.
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2003, 11:12 AM   #13

MentorRon:

Oops, I used the wrong URL from the other thread with Beckie's post:

http://www.shutterfly.com/os.jsp?i=67b0de21b331dd8645d2

Note the lack of sharpness in the tree leaves and pine needles in her pic. This is a very common problem with my A40 especially when shooting at infinity where all pics show this lack of focus in foliage. The issue of condensation on the lens has never been a problem for me. After over 30 years of shooting 35mm, the A40 was my first digicam, so I have the knowledge on how to shoot carefullly. I am still convinced that Canon has a problem with quality control on the production of their A40's and the one that I purchased is defective.

Hopefully, Canon fixed it properly the 2nd time I sent it to them for repairs.

Steve
srhaymes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2003, 11:32 PM   #14

Steve,
Thanks for sharing your repair experience.

I received my G1 back from the IL Canon repair center five days after I authorized the fixed cost repair via Fed-X.

The camera was well packed and returned with a letter indicating the following service details:
"replaced dc/dc converter, updated firmware, checked all functions, cleaned"

The letter also said "Please be assured your equipment has been returned to Factory Specifications."

The Repair Warranty was stated as follows:
"Workmanship and materials are warranteed for 3 months to be free from defects under normal use. Our obligation is limited to rework(same failure) only, provided this equipment is accompanied with this form and returned to us with a detailed failure description, transportation prepaid. We are not responsible for any expense, loss, or inconvenience. This warranty is void on any item or parts which have been tampered with by unauthorized persons, misused, neglected or damaged."

The total cost was $155, $150 plus $5.00 shipping.

The camera is working like new, though the $150 feels expensive, it was worth it to recover this camera, and the description of the repair work and warranty I consider reasonable and satsifactory.

Mark
MarkL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2004, 6:50 PM   #15

MarkL wrote:
Quote:
I purchased a Powershot G1 April 2001. After 20 months of light and flawless use the camera powered down without retracting the lens and now will not power-up. It will not show the amber charge indicator when connected to the charger. I have two batteries and niether works. I replaced the watch battery with no effect.

I sent the camera to the repair center and have received an estimate to fix of $150. The estimate shows no new parts are required. It does not:
- indicate whats wrong with the camera
- whats required to fix it.

Leaving me wondering if I have it repaired could this happen again next month.

The estimate does not say whether there is any warranty on this repair.

Has anyone had any experiences with Canon repair that might be helpful?

Mark
ekcarlson21 is offline   Reply With Quote