Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 26, 2003, 8:56 AM   #1

Default Canon Repair Experience ?

I purchased a Powershot G1 April 2001. After 20 months of light and flawless use the camera powered down without retracting the lens and now will not power-up. It will not show the amber charge indicator when connected to the charger. I have two batteries and niether works. I replaced the watch battery with no effect.

I sent the camera to the repair center and have received an estimate to fix of $150. The estimate shows no new parts are required. It does not:
- indicate whats wrong with the camera
- whats required to fix it.

Leaving me wondering if I have it repaired could this happen again next month.

The estimate does not say whether there is any warranty on this repair.

Has anyone had any experiences with Canon repair that might be helpful?

Mark
MarkL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 29, 2003, 2:39 PM   #2

Have you tried phoning the repair center? I do that in Canada and get good tech support. Just supply them the RMA number or whatever they gave you, and see if you can get more info.
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2003, 8:02 PM   #3

Called the Service Center. The $150 is a Fixed Rate Repair Cost. Once agreed to, a final evaluation will determine whats wrong with the camera and if the $150 will cover it the camera gets fixed and returned in 7-10 days via 2 day FedX. If the evaluation shows a repair costing more than $150 I'm sent a revised estimate. There is a 90 day warrantly on the repair work. The camera is returned with an explanation of what was wrong and what was done to fix it. I've agreed to the repair work and will wait for my camera.
Mark
MarkL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2003, 12:23 PM   #4

From some of these stories I'm reading on various forums, I'm beginning to wonder if the extended warranties are worthwhile on cameras over a certain value (say $400). It would depend on if the camera will be sent to the manufacturer by the warrantor, not some "tech in a back room somewhere", which I have encountered on inquiry into the details of some contracts. My friend added 2 yrs for $40 on a Canon A40 at Sears here in Canada.
Old Feb 6, 2003, 12:44 AM   #5

Mark:

My experiece with the U.S.A. Canon Factory Service Center has NOT been good.

Last May, I purchased an A40 that turned out to be defective as selective protions of images were blurry INDEPENDENT of distance, focus, and camera orientation suggesting a problem with the CCD or image processing. Canon replaced the "optical unit" and returned the camera in 7 days. The information on the invoice as to what Canon actually did was very limted at best.

This did not solve the problem, so I called the Service Center and they said that I should send the camera out again at MY COST and this time include a CF card with some bad images.

It is now over 2 weeks and the camera should arrive tomorrow. I've been in touch with the Service Center and according to their records, the repair was done over a week ago, but the camera was not shipped out until yesterday. They gave me a wrong FedEx tracking number and I had to call them a second time to get the correct one. When asking what was actually repaired, the information that Canon provided was again very limited at best.

When the camera arrives, a friend who also owns an A40 and I will take some diagnostic pictures with both cameras in order to see if Canon successfully repaired my A40.

If Canon does not properly repair my A40 on this second try, I will demand that they replace it or face legal action so hopefully they will get it right this time.

Good luck,

Steve
Old Feb 6, 2003, 4:22 AM   #6

Steve:

Read this thread if you haven't already:
http://webwarper.net/ww/forums.power...hreadid=1758&*

We are not alone...
Old Feb 6, 2003, 9:35 AM   #7

MentorRon:

Thanks for the RE. Please note a minor administrative change to my Username.

There is some useful information in here but I feel that the problem with my A40 is NOT with the lense but is with either the CCD or image progressing.

AFTER the first repair by Canon where they replaced the "optical unit", co-worker and I took some tests shooting identical pics with the A40 and a Nikon Coolpix 950. Pics were shot in both portrait and landscape orientation and at normal, fine and super fine compressions with both cameras. The resulting JPEG files were all reviewed in Adobe Photoshop Elements on Dell PC’s. The files were copied between the CF cards and PC’s with Lexar card readers.

The A40 pics where shot with the following camera settings as show with ZoomBrowser EX:

Shooting Mode – “P” Program AE
Autofocus Mode – Center (AiAF off – my preference for most AF cameras)
Range – Infinity Mode (for most of the problem images)
Light Metering – Evaluative
Shutter Speed – 1/100 or higher (always fast enough to not introduce motion)
ISO Speed – 50
Resolution – 1600*1200

A review of the JPEG files in Adobe Photoshop Elements showed the following

1) The blurriness in the image appears in areas or "blobs" across the image that are independent of distance but within the infinity focus range (i.e. beyond 30 feet). In two areas of equal infinity focus distance, one area may be clear and one area may be blurry. Trees are almost always blurry with groups of trees appearing as “blobs” and leafy outlines being blurry. Man-made structures may or may not be blurry. This does NOT suggest an autofocus problem.

2) The areas of blurriness in the image may change depending on if the picture was shot in landscape or portrait orientation. The same part of the picture may be blurry in one orientation and not in the other. Item 1) above still applies. This does NOT suggest an autofocus problem.

3) When changing the compression, fine gave the best (but still blurry) image while both normal and superfine were more blurry and hard to distinguish between each other. This is inconsistent with what changing the JPEG compression should do. This suggests a CCD or JPEG image processing problem.

4) In Adobe Photoshop, unsharp masking did not recover the detail as it should do. On other images, I have encountered the same problem with Paint Shop Pro’s unsharp masking also being unable to recover the detail that is should. This suggests a JPEG image sharpness problem.

5) The Nikon 950 images did not show these problems.

When I was in contact with the Canon Factory Service Center, they told me that I should not compare my pics to that of another manufacturer's camera so after the 2nd repair in the next set of tests, I will compare the results of the second repair to another A40.

Personally, I feel that while the A40 received excellent reviews on it's optics (as have other Canon digicams, SLR's and point-and-shoots), there appears to be a very signfigcant quality control problem with the production of the A40s that unless Canon fixes will come around to sting them as word gets out on this problem.

Thanks again for the RE.

Steve
srhaymes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2003, 9:55 AM   #8

Steve:

There is another thread on Steve's forums that applies. This is for a different Canon model, so it's not just the A40 !! Read my last post in the thread and look at her IMG_0148.jpg pic I commented on (the other URL I referred to in that post is for another A40):

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ghlight=beckie
Old Feb 6, 2003, 3:25 PM   #9

MentorRon:

Thanks again for the RE.

I got my camera back from Canon today and once I am over this flu, I will go outside to test it. Hopefully, it is properly repaired this time.

I took a look at the IMG_0148.jpg as you recomended and I do see some signficant similarities between the problems in her pic and mine, in particular the blurrieness in the pine tree in the upper right 1/4 of the pic. This blurrieness in trees is common to all of my outdoor pics from day one and also after the first unsuccessful repair by Canon where they "replaced and adjusted the optical unit".

Also notice the brown "blob" directly above the stone structure. This is tha same sort of "blurry blobs" that I have always gotten in my pics.

Unfortunately at 480*321 this is a resized image which introduces other problems. If the original image was shot at 1600*1200 then would really like to see it. I will RE to Becky on the thread with the IMG_0148.jpg.

Please tell me what you think.

Thanks,

Steve
srhaymes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2003, 7:49 PM   #10

Her pic is in full size (2048x1536): if you wait a few secs after it downloads, you will (if you place your cursor there) get a small enlargement icon in the bottom right hand corner of the pic. This is typical of several server sites where you can store your pics online.
I searched in vain for the brown blob above the stones: I see some dead grass showing between the top layer of stones and the whole picture is very low contrast for some reason, especially just above the stones in the greenery. My Fuji FinePixes (2300 and 2800) don't seem to have this low contrast problem. I've only seen it in very inexpensive digicams, usually with a CMOS sensor.