Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 26, 2003, 10:28 AM   #1

Default Blurry pics on S230

When taking shots of my kids, especially my 6 mo old daughter, the pics are now blurry. They were not like this until very recently.
It is a function of movement, since other recent photos of non-moving objects come out fine. Still, I was not having this problem before. Any thoughts?
Jeff P is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 26, 2003, 11:24 AM   #2

This is exactly why I returned my S230 and got the S330. The AiAF is, IMHO, the problem with this camera. Have to tried turning off the AiAF (in manual mode)?
bobshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2003, 7:06 PM   #3

Same thing happens with mine. That's why I like my old Kodak DC3400 so much better. Nothin I can do about it now, can't return it.
BCobra99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2003, 8:09 PM   #4

I agree, this is my last canon camera, I am not real happy with my g3 either. The canon s900 printer however could not possibly be any better it is fanastic.
cnw4002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2003, 7:37 PM   #5

I am having the EXACT PROBLEM!!! I just replaced my older elph with the S230 and my photos have been coming out blury. I also used to have a Nikon Coolpix 990 but wanted something mor e simple. I am lost now what to do about this or what camera to buy now. I wish there was a way to correct this. Anyone have any luck?
samsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2003, 1:59 PM   #6

Check the EXIF info for the old pictures which were NOT blurred, and compare it to the newer ones which ARE blurred. Are the shutter speeds different? Do the blurred ones use a slower shutter speed?
I understand from your post that ONLY the child is blurred, that everything else in the picture is sharp. Maybe the light was a bit dimmer in the newer ones; maybe the child moved faster; maybe the child was closer to the camera causing movement to be emphasized. Objects moving toward or away from the camera will be less blurred than those moving across the image. Are these indoor or outdoor pictures? If indoor, was flash used? If outdoor was it in full sunlight?
As you see there can be many questions and many answers.
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2003, 2:38 AM   #7

Default Blurry Pics

Hi all -

I've read quite a few posts in various forums about the S230 producing fuzzy pics. I got my S230 about a week ago and I've been practicing, practicing, practicing. It's true that the main issue is shaking the camera because it's so small. I find that using the timer set for 2 seconds helps quite a bit. Once you press the shutter button, you have 2 seconds to steady the camera before the shot is taken. It's very helpful. The other thing (for me, anyway) that has caused a lot of not so great shots is poor lighting. Once you get those two things down, most of your shots will be gorgeous.

Here are some of my test pics, including macros:

http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=...21b331dd8645d2

What do you think? I'm no expert and photography is very new to me, so please be kind.

Beckie
Beckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2003, 10:57 AM   #8

Beckie:

I looked at the shots you posted. I assume these were the better ones; that you didn't post your problem pics. These are all reasonably sharp, considering that many are macro (which has a very narrow range of focus) and one through a car windshield, which can affect autofocus. They are too small in size to make critical sharpness comments: they need to be viewed at 1024x768 at least: they are only 480x321 on the Shutterfly site. You mention the 2 sec timer usage. I assume you mean for macro shots and low light shots. You shouldn't need it for pics taken in good light outdoors. You may also be using the LCD to compose all or most of your non-macro shots, which doesn't allow for steadiness (your elbows are away from your body): if so try using the optical finder more (for non-macro shots). Also you need to determine in each bad pic which problem has happened: camera moved, subject moved, or autofocus had problem. If the camera moves, everything will have an astigmatic appearance. If the subject moves, only that part of the pic will be astigmatic. If the focus is wrong. either part (if a closeup) or all (if at infinity) will be nebulous. I also assume your software allows you to see the EXIF data the camera provides with each shot (the aperture, shutter speed, etc.) and that you look at that as part of problem resolution. Shutter speed should equate to focal length used (35mm equivalent) or higher to avoid blur.
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2003, 11:37 AM   #9

Default Thank you!

MentorRon,

Thank you so much for your comments. Yeah, that's a problem with Shutterfly. You can't view the pix in actual size.

Also, yes, I use the 2 sec. timer only for the low light and macro shots. I have found that the S230 works great just in automatic mode for all (or most) other shots. I set the camera on infinity mode for the through the windshield shots.

I'm going to study your response. I have so much to learn!

I very much appreciate your taking the time to help me out.

Beckie
Old Feb 5, 2003, 11:55 AM   #10

Default Here are a few of shots (real size)

The first is a macro shot (I sharpened in Photoshop):

http://www.healaddiction.org/kiwicloseup.jpg

The next is an indoor shot (I adjusted the white balance before the shot and sharpened after);

http://www.healaddiction.org/TESTOFFICE2.jpg

Another macro (indoors):

http://www.healaddiction.org/IMG_0120.JPG

A regular outside shot (all auto):

http://www.healaddiction.org/IMG_0148.JPG