Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Sep 4, 2005, 6:52 AM   #1

I just got an A510 from Amazon where it was very clearly listed as being compatible with Mac OS 9, but the supplied disc is only for OSX. I am using OS 9.2.1 on a G3 Blueberry iBook.
I just get a window that saying I don't have the proper software when I connect to the USB. Any links to download what I need. What is the difference between a "driver" and software? Thanks
acoustix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 5, 2005, 2:42 AM   #2

Try contacting Canon.* I see on the website they only provide software for OS X, so there may not be any.You probably need to buy a card reader.* OS 9 supports USB mass storage (you may need an upgrade from apple), so any card read that is a "USB mass storage" device should work.Drivers are a specialized type of software, that just provide enough to enable the hardware to be available to the operating system.* A driver for A510 would provide the underlying support, then possibly multiple different programs could access that camera using the driver.If you need an image browser once you have the images on your mac, try http://www.cameraid.com.* It won't read images from your camera unfortunately, but is great for browsing the ones you have.* There are other OS 9 programs you can try, but I can't remember any at the moment.
jefmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2005, 4:43 AM   #3

Thanks, jefmcg. Canon did respond saying that they only support OSX. I am ordering the IOGear GFR202SD USB Universal Drive from Amazon which will read and write to SD cards and also double as a flashdrive which I have been wanting anyways and am now glad I waited, as this will do double duty. They also swear it works on OS9...I've heard that before somewhere...I want to believe. Thanks again.
acoustix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2005, 1:21 AM   #4

You should be fine. For some reason, Canon don't implement USB mass storage. If they did, you'd be able to plug your camera into virtually any system and it would appear as a disk drive. But because they want to lock us in to zoom browser, they need to write software for any system that the camera will work with.

Fortunately, buying a card reader should solve all this. If it doesn't work out of the box, the first thing to do is to go to the apple site and see if you can find a USB Mass Storage updater for os 9. I needed to do that in 2001.

have fun with your camera!

joan
jefmcg is offline   Reply With Quote