Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Sep 10, 2005, 12:37 AM   #11

Here's a very good article on the M6 that gives some detail as to how their viewfinder is made to be used:

http://www.butzi.net/reviews/leicam6.htm

The thing with the Leica range/viewfinder window, you don't know where the subject ends- everything within the finder lines is included in the image AND also some of what's outside is also included so it's always a best guess as to what at the edge of the frame is going to wind up on the negative. The quality of the M-Seriesviewfinder far exceeds the finders we have today in these digicams but the principal is the same as far as framing.

A few years ago I had a chance to pick up a very nice M6 and assemble agreat 4 lens outfit, including a 21mm f2.8 Elmarit, which was a trip to use because you can't even use the built-in viewfinder with that. You have to mount a separate viewfinder in the hot shoe. Of course, the thingwas so wide and had such good depth of field markers you could pretty much just set the lens and shoot without having to worry about using the rangefinder.

As much fun as that camera was, for what you get it's obviously way overboard price-wise, even the used ones. Fortunately the things are treated like gold on eBay and when the time came to come to my senses I was pretty much able to get out of it what I put into it, which is more than can be said for what I'm buying to shoot today.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2005, 11:17 AM   #12

I had great expectations from the succesor of the S-70. I wanted it to be the 'Take anywhere buddy' to my FZ-20.

It baffles me as to why cannon didn't give 30fpcs video. Everybody who is somebody in the digicam world is offering at least 30fps/640:480 video in the new models.

It seems ,Canon think people will stop buying newer models if they give a well-balanced camera in terms of features/quality. No other thinking process can explain that ( I assume that canon has enough technical excellence to provide a feature which even toms/dicks/harrys are providing).:sad::sad::sad::?:?:?:evil:
wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2005, 12:06 PM   #13

wise wrote:
Quote:
. . .It baffles me as to why cannon didn't give 30fpcs video. Everybody who is somebody in the digicam world is offering at least 30fps/640:480 video in the new models. . .
It does do 30fps at 640x480 resolution. At the higher 1024x768 it only shoots at 15 fps. This might be a limitation of the processing speed, or of the buffer size/speed. Or maybe they just realized that you can't shoot very long at 30 fps 1024x768 on a typical memory card, and it wasn't worth stretching the speed/buffer to do it.

Funny, the movie mode is wel more than what I want. I'm concerned about the speed, the fragility of that giant LCD, the picture quality, and how much of a hassle it will be to get to the idiot modes that I know and love (portrait, sports, etc.) but not about the movie mode, which looks terrific.
PuzzleGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2005, 7:54 PM   #14
Super Moderator

i think canon dropped the ball here.. i think there is a sizeable population of photographers that use an Sxx series canon to compliment their dslrs, me included..major reasonsi went for my s50 was RAW support and the CF media to swapw/ my 20d...

the s80 dropped RAW and CF.. to me, that is a mistake, i think these two features are important differences between the Sxx series and the Axx/Axxx series of cameras.. and make it less compatible as part of a system with a canon dslr..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2005, 2:32 PM   #15

PuzzleGal wrote:
Quote:
At the higher 1024x768 it only shoots at 15 fps. This might be a limitation of the processing speed, or of the buffer size/speed. Or maybe they just realized that you can't shoot very long at 30 fps 1024x768 on a typical memory card, and it wasn't worth stretching the speed/buffer to do it.
All Canon DC I've used, and all sample movies I've downloaded, have a maximum movie file data rate of 2MB/sec.

Any idea why Canon set such limit?

Or why they don't adopt MPEG-4? Quality reasons or cost reasons?
big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote