Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Sep 8, 2005, 12:00 PM   #1
sdh

im surprised no one's talked about the upcoming S80 around here. Im surprised Canon didnt finally give it a 30 fps movie mode. For as long as Ive been following the S series Ive thought that's the only thing it's missing...
sdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 8, 2005, 5:57 PM   #2

Hi sdh from a neighbor to your south in Connecticut. I, too, have been checking this forum for discussion about the S80. Other forums have had discussions, but mostly complaints because it will not have RAW. Since I never use RAW, that is not an issue for me. I am anxiously awaiting its release and to read the reviews. Since I am looking for a wide angle compact, the S80 appears to be just about the perfect camera. I only hope it will live up to its claims, and that eventually, the price will drop a little.

I'm especially excited about the new Digic II sensor, the larger LCD, the improved movie mode, 8 megapixels (which is overkill; I would have been satisfied with 5), and the use of less expensive SD memory cards. What do you think of the specs?
Justinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2005, 9:49 PM   #3

What I'd really hope for in the S80 is an LCD display that is usable under bright lighting conditions. I like my S70 pretty well, but on a sunny day I almost have to guess at what I'm photographing. It really makes careful framing of the image impossible. I believe it's due to the protective plastic screen on the display. Whatever the reason, this camera is much harder to use in bright light than our family's Nikon 4200 and 5900. Yes, there's an optical viewfinder (and I like optical viewfinders) but it doesn't show the whole image and (maybe even worse, to my opinion) it's misaligned with respect to the sensor.

(By the way, does anybody have a logical explanation for why optical finders on digicams - except for SLRs, of course - are designed to show only part of the image? This was the case in most small film cameras and compensated for the cropping of the negative image that was unavoidable with most photo printing services. But what's the purpose when you're making digital images? )
gordondn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2005, 12:25 AM   #4

ALL optical viewfinders are like that. Even the optical viewfinder in a $3,000Leica rangefinder isn't designed to show the entire field-they've been that way since 1925 and there's no shortage of world-class images they have produced. The closest it comes to showing the whole field is at the closest focusing distance of .7 meters. It's at it's worst at infinity. Having used Leicas I have to say you truly don't need exact framing to take great pictures. With the state of LCD viewing today I wouldn't buy a digicam that came without an optical viewfinder. There simply are times/conditions when they are the only way to get, or even see the shot.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2005, 11:39 AM   #5
sdh

Justinian,

Hi there. The S80's specs look great to me, except for the movie mode. I think good movie mode is a big factor for most digicam buyers (DSLR aside) and Canon made a big mistake by not giving it 30fps capability. And w/o 30fps, the bigger frame size uber-VGA, i forget what they called it) is not so meaningful, to me. Id rather have the higher framerate.

Im actually from the Sony camp. Im using a V3 right now, though I very strongly considered the G6 when i was buying. in the end, i went w/ the sony becauseof movie mode, overall cam speed, no need for lens cap and i already had a collection of memory sticks. G6 is agreat cam too though and has a better lens and manual focus mode, that i wish the v3 had.
Old Sep 9, 2005, 8:40 PM   #6

Well, like almost every other camera on the market, the S80 is not perfect, but almost. There will always be some feature we wish it had or didn't have, etc. But I plan to wait until there are a number of professional and user reviews before dishing out the $$$$. Right now, the S80 can be preordered for $549.99. That's alot of camera and alot of $$$$, so hopefully, the price will drop a bit. I mean, other model prices have dropped. I saw the Sony P-200 on sale for $256.00 the other day; and the SD500 is finally down to $399.99 at beachcamera.com. I have never seen it under $400.00 before. What is your take on this?
Old Sep 9, 2005, 9:14 PM   #7

What's the take on the SD500 finally goingunder $400? Business as usual for the digicam market as far as I can see.

It's now been out a while... in the digicam market a few months is all it takes to constitute "a while". Time to drop the price 'cause the next model is right around the corner. Didn't I see an article on a model called the SD550? The S80 is probably only 10-11 months from doing the same thing, if that long.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2005, 9:14 PM   #8
sdh

Justinian, I would definetely wait for reviews and real-user opinions to come out. 4 months from now you'll be able to get that (or any) camera for 2/3 ofits debut price. If you want a cam now Id look at the S70 or S50 if you can live with the smaller LCD's and lesser movie modes. Or wait for the S80 to drop in price. It surely will...
Old Sep 9, 2005, 10:40 PM   #9

Greg - Thanks for the Leica information. I've never had the pleasure of using one. So then, your advice is to lighten up and learn to love the optical viewfinder I've got. OK, I accept that. And it's reassuring to hear from someone else who considers o.v.'s to be a necessity...
gordondn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2005, 11:26 PM   #10

Ditto about loving optical viewfinders on cameras; I would not purchase a d.c. without one.