Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Sep 9, 2005, 8:24 PM   #1

Considering upgrading from the casio z750 to the new canon sd550 due to the weak casio flash. Can anyone share any experiences about either of these canons, I assume them to be similar. Specifically, outdoor shots (beach) leave the subject dark and the background bright, even with flash fill on. Also, some noise on indoor flash shots where subject is more than a few feet away. Casio claims 9ft range (wide angle), canon 16foot for the flash. Is there really an improvement. 1 other thing, does anyone know if they're still using the 'soft' lcd display on the new 550,. or did they decide to put a hard cover over it like everyone else. THanks.
larrytr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 11, 2005, 10:47 PM   #2

I can't really help you, but I'm hoping you may be able to help me lol :-)

I am looking for a new camera and I am trying to decide between the Z750, SD550 or the Olympus Stylus 800. Seeing that you are looking to get rid of the Z750, I was hoping you can tell me why and possibly narrow my decision. Thanks so much!
LILHUNNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2005, 12:06 AM   #3

Hello. I decided to keep the z750. I was trying to assure that I made the best choice. I ruled out the olympus after finally getting to spend about an hour with 1. A very nice camera, The LCD display was great in the sun, as the sales rep let me take it outside. Then did some side by side comparisions with my casio in the store, uploaded them to their PC (circuit city), and picked the CASIO because of its pictures looked just as good, The olympus was about twice as bulky (less likely to throw in my pocket for non-events), and the video on the olympus wasn't very good. I like the fact that I can take the casio to my kids sports games or events, and get a few minutes of QUALITY video should I decide. the 15fps on the olympus just did not look good. I liked the Canon SD500 a lot, but its lack of manual controls ruled it out. I thought the sd550 added these features, but it did not, just a bigger lcd and some other misc. stuff. My 1 complaint about the casio is it's flash, and my struggles to get some decent flash-fills outside. I'm not sure I'd get this ability with any other compact camera anyways, so I've just been fishing for feedback. My other concern was with the name 'casio'. I've owned olympus, nikon, pentax and canon cameras, camcorders and digicams. I've always recommended folks stick with 'camera' names when doing photo stuff, so I had reservartions about the name CASIO. In the end, I may have just been too critical of the casio, especially when comparing to pics taken on my old canon s-30 digicam. The z750 isn't perfect, but at this point I would recommend it. If you don't care about manual controls, and can live with a slightly larger camera with a 'soft' lcd, you may want to look at the canon sd550. BTW, the battery on this camera is unreal. I've used it all day long on vacation, taking literally 100's of pics and movies, and never drained the battery. I bought a spare which I've yet to use.
larrytr is offline   Reply With Quote