Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Sep 14, 2005, 7:38 AM   #1
nfh

Hi,

I always found Canon as one of the best digital cameras makers, but the past few news is that Canon is having a hard time keeping up with the market.

My favourite compact camera has been the A95 (used to be the A80), but I haven't seen an update to this camera for a long time. What happened to the Axx series? Did Canon stop updating this series and its mainstream series is now Axxx (could we consider the A620 as the successor to the A95?)

Best regards,
Norberto
nfh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 15, 2005, 9:34 PM   #2

They've gone small on you, that's all.

The A95 was the last of the line that takes CF cards and 4-AA batteries. The A520 and now A620 now use SD cards. It happened at the same time all these Elph SD models replaced the S410 and S500.

The last thing Canon is having a hard time with is keeping up with the market.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2005, 8:58 AM   #3
nfh

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
They've gone small on you, that's all.

The A95 was the last of the line that takes CF cards and 4-AA batteries. The A520 and now A620 now use SD cards. It happened at the same time all these Elph SD models replaced the S410 and S500.

The last thing Canon is having a hard time with is keeping up with the market.
Was there any special reason for shifting their cameras to SD from CF, besides the physical card size?
nfh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2005, 11:50 PM   #4

Quote:
was there any special reason for shifting their cameras to SD from CF, besides the physical card size?
I have heard that SD/MMC has a significant advantage over Compact Flash in that the connector pins are thicker and stronger, less likely to get bent or broken than with CF. Also, SD cards are supposedly "keyed" in some way that makes it impossible to insert the card into the camera any way other than the correct way. I guess a fair number pf people were damaging the pins in the card slot of their CF-based cameras by inserting the card upside down, sideways, or backwards, then trying to force the card down when it didn't want to slip in smoothly. I am kind of sad to see compact flash dying out since I own about $500 worth of CF cards, and would rather not have to buy different ones...Oh well, it's the same complaint owners of 8-tracks made when cassette took over...then CD took over from vinyl LP and cassette. And now it looks like 3.5" DVD might replace 5.25" CD pretty soon as the medium of choice for music distribution.
lgcharlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2005, 1:57 PM   #5

lgcharlot wrote:
Quote:
I own about $500 worth of CF cards

... :shock:
gaul is offline   Reply With Quote