Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 29, 2003, 1:26 PM   #1

Default Some questions about CF cards and readers for G2

I've had a G2 for about 6 months and love it. I have been using two 32MB CF cards. A friend bought a 128MB card for his and gave me his 32MB card. At any rate, I would like to buy a larger card, but am confused as to what I should buy. First of all, is 128MB the largest CF that the G2 can take? If so, which brand? I thought SanDisk was a good brand, but read some reviews @ Amazon and they were horrible! So, now I am looking at this card:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...275945-7335219

I'm confused as to what type I should get, there are all these varying types of 128MB CF cards. For example, regular 128MB CF, 128MB xD CF, 128MB 4X CF, 128MB Ultra Type1 CF, 4X USB CF, etc.) ... so confusing! :shock:

Also, I would like to go ahead and get a CF reader, what's the best? I do have a couple DV camcorders that have internal SD sticks, but I will probably never use them. Ones 1.3MP and the other isn't even 1MP.

I thank you guys in advance for your help and can tell this forum will be a favorite! :lol:
Searchname is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 30, 2003, 7:20 AM   #2

I've been using sandisks 256mb for a couple of months..works perfectly
d77avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2003, 6:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by d77avid
I've been using sandisks 256mb for a couple of months..works perfectly
Wow, great news! Thanks!

The Canon website still lists the 128MB stick as the max, discounting the microdrive. Thanks again!

Any advice on the card reader?
Searchname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2003, 7:57 PM   #4

I got a Lexar..it was on sale for 5.00$ on a promotion at Microcenter..works fine..running WinXP takes a half a minute or so to decide and then works fine..you also have cord that goes from camera to computer that seems just about as fast
d77avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2003, 6:13 PM   #5
How

I am using a 256 Simpletech and it works fine in my G2...
How is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2003, 6:34 PM   #6

There is no limit in size of a Compact Flash card your camera can use. The controller firmware is on the card, not in the camera as with Smart Media. I'd recommend you try using Canon RAW (CRAW) mode. It lets you modify pictures extensively outside the camera. With a big CF the difference in file size becomes unimportant.

I found a Kodak card reader at Wal-Mart for $29 that reads three different card formats. The computer sees it as a drive so downloading pix is quick and simple.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote