Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Sep 17, 2005, 4:56 PM   #1

Hi all. Reading through the posts I noticed that Zedzed has just posted a similar problem, but I didn't want to muscle in on someone elses thread. I had an unfortunate incident while fishing this morning.I wastrying to free my fly line from a branch and I tipped my canoe. My life jacket popped me up like a cork and fortunately I lost nothing but a tatty oldsweater. Everything got a good soaking though, including my Canon G5 camera. No doubt I will have to file an insurance claim for that and will probably replace it with a G6.
What I would like to know though is whether the batteries and CF cards will be ok to use when they have dried out? I had a battery and card in the camera and a spare of each in the camera pouch. All got wet, but the disc in the camera got enough water inside that you can hear it sloshing about when you shake it. The spare disc got wet, but not to the same extent as it was in the little plastic packet that it comes in.
As for the batteries, they were wet, but look to be sealed units. Once the water on the outside has dried will they be ok to use?
The worst part about this is that I set off early and got about a mile down the road before I realized I had forgotten my camera. For a moment I decided that I would just have to get by without one for the day, but then I thought that if I did I would be sure to land the fish of a lifetime and not get a photo of it, so I turned around and went back to get the camera!! I guess the moral is to always go with your first instinct.
They even sell special waterproof bags to keep cameras in just in case you tip your canoe, I guess that will be the next purchase after a G6.
Andy_USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 17, 2005, 11:55 PM   #2

I think you're asking a question that no one will be able to provide a definitive answer for. If I had to guess, I'd say you might be OK with the batteries, but as for the CF cards, as Dirty Harry said, "Do you feel lucky?" The card filled with water really has got to be ruined, though, and I wouldn't chance putting it into one of my cameras. No telling what an internal short might do to the camera.

The good news is that if you liked your G5, you'll love the G6. I just bought a very nice used G5, to teach a friend the basics of photography with. I spent most of today with the G5 in my hands, and it can take some great photos, but the G6 is just so much easier to use and so much more comfortable to handle. The G6 has faster action, too, by much more of a margin than I expected.

Even better is that until this Thursday you can buy a new G6 for $449.15 + tax from Dell online, if you use coupon code "WLXLWHLFVZPF08". You might also try http://www.buydig.com or http://www.beachcamera.com, for $476 + $12 shipping and no tax unless you're in NJ. Be aware that Dell sometimes doesn't have stock on things that are on sale.

Regards,

Dean
Lutz, FL
G6, G5, S410, S2
dcains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2005, 11:56 PM   #3

I think you're asking a question that no one will be able to provide a definitive answer for. If I had to guess, I'd say you might be OK with the batteries, but as for the CF cards, as Dirty Harry said, "Do you feel lucky?" The card filled with water really has got to be ruined, though, and I wouldn't chance putting it into one of my cameras. No telling what an internal short might do to the camera.

The good news is that if you liked your G5, you'll love the G6. I just bought a very nice used G5, to teach a friend the basics of photography with. I spent most of today with the G5 in my hands, and it can take some great photos, but the G6 is just so much easier to use and so much more comfortable to handle. The G6 has faster action, too, by much more of a margin than I expected.

Even better is that until this Thursday you can buy a new G6 for $449.15 + tax from Dell online, if you use coupon code "WLXLWHLFVZPF08". You might also try http://www.buydig.com or http://www.beachcamera.com, for $476 + $12 shipping and no tax unless you're in NJ. Be aware that Dell sometimes doesn't have stock on things that are on sale.

Regards,

Dean
Lutz, FL
G6, G5, S410, S2
dcains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2005, 3:32 AM   #4
Super Moderator

my guess is the CF is fine.. these solid state mediums are quite reslilient and are usually impervious to water.. i have heard many stories of CF cards running through the washer with no ill-effect..

i would let everything dry out completely.. so when you think its dry, wait that much time again.. and then give them a try.. you may be surprised..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2005, 10:25 PM   #5

Thanks for the input. I bought the G5 from Amazon; they had the best price at the time. I was all ready to buy the G6 from them, but now I have ordered it from Dell much cheaper, thanks for the advice. They say it will ship on October 3rd, so I will have to go back to my old 35mm till then.

I am still in two minds about the CF cards. I don't use large cards; instead I have five 256's. I figure that way if I take a lot of photos they are spread across several discs so I don't lose everything if a disc becomes corrupted or lost. These relatively small discs can be picked up fairly cheaply these days so I may go ahead and buy twonew onesjust for piece of mind. With a mail in rebate the last two I bought cost me $45 for the pair and that was a year ago.

I also had a look at the watertight bags that Cabela's sells; I'll definitely be getting one of those!

Andy_USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2005, 11:01 PM   #6
Super Moderator

since you are going to a 7.1mp camera.. you may consider picking up a couple 512mb cards.. they are fairly cheap these days and will be more practical for the larger file sizes..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote