Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Sep 21, 2005, 7:35 PM   #1

I've recently purchased the S2 to take pictures of my kids in their sports activities. . . (Football and Volleyball)

I like the video mode and while I understand I can take still shots as I'm recording video. I would really like to capture some still shots after the fact. any suggestions?
marg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 21, 2005, 11:39 PM   #2

I really don't shoot videos, but I'm guessing that Arcsoft Video Impression (supplied by Canon w/your S2) should have a frame capture function. If not, try a google search for "video frame capture shareware", as that will surely get you lots of hits. Good luck.

Regards,

Dean
Lutz, FL
G6, G5, S410, S2
dcains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2005, 1:14 AM   #3

Virtualdub works like a charm ( http://www.virtualdub.org ) , just copy the desired frame to the clipboard and process with your favorite photo editor. The real benifit for me has been to delete the frames in the movie that go black while capturing a still photo.
Have fun
Al
Furd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2005, 7:13 PM   #4

Yes, you can use any number of software tools to pull still imagess from video clips taken with your S2. The downside is that they will be small, low res pics when all is said and done. Get comfortable with the idea of snapping stills while shooting a movie with the S2. The impact on the movie is minimal, and you end up with spectacular 5mp stills. Continuous focus and IS is operating durng movie mode, so snapping outstanding stills is as easy as pushing the button. Also, DIGIC II is fast enough that it is very easy to snap perfect action stills within a movie. Spend a few practice sessions with the feature, and you will be very comfortabe with timing your action shots perfectly in short order.

Voyager
Voyager13b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2005, 1:17 PM   #5

Everyone, thanks for the help. - Marg
marg is offline   Reply With Quote