Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Sep 24, 2005, 11:04 AM   #1

I just returned from a 3 week land/cruise vacation in Alaska. I shot over 2200 photos and numerous videos. I am strictly a "vacation" photographer and use the "Auto" setting almost exclusively. I am very pleased with my photos in general and can say that I am super pleased with the video function. I am sure I am not as critical of the end results as many of you more experienced photographers are. Of course, I delete all the bad ones, so everyone thinks I am really a good photographer.

The one problem that I had was that on several occasions, I found that the resolution I was routinely using (L-Fine) was getting changed "on its own". I am assuming that I was inadvertently touching one of the buttons on the back of the camera to do this, but I have not been able to figure out exactly how it was happening. I am not a particulaly big guy with big hands, so if my thumb was in the wrong place at the wrong time, I can't imagine how much of a problem this could be for a person with big hands.

I'm wonderig if anyone else has had this problem. If so, I would guess that there may be a problem with button placement design on the back of the camera.

Overall, I am really pleased with the S2 IS. The 12X zoom was used often with great results and made the purchase of the camera for the trip worth it for sure.
ellisrue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 25, 2005, 1:06 AM   #2

Hi,

I was suspecting the same problem when I first used the camera. There are two issues:

1. Every mode (P, Auto, Av, Tv, etc.) seem to keep their own resolution settings, so when you change mode and have used other resolution settings before, it might happen that you think the resolution changed "on it's own".

2. The third button counting from the top, just at the right side of the display (it has an S and a printer) change resolution when in shooting mode.

Hope this helps. BTW, it's really a great camera.

Regards
schmiedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2005, 1:27 PM   #3

Thank you for the reply and explanation. I apparently have all my modes set to L-fine since changing the modes does not change that setting. However, you are right on with your #2 explanation. Because I never print from the camera, I had not bothered to learn about that button function. Since I shoot about 90% of the time using the viewfinder I often have to use my thumb to hit the "display" button to turn the viewing display back on if it goes off while I am still shooting. So, I am sure I have mistakenly hit the print button in that process. In other words, I don't lower the camera to hit the button. I will obviously be more careful about that from now on. But I will say that I think this is a problem that others certainly might run into, so I do feel this is a button placement design flaw. This in no way lessens my happiness with the S2 IS.
Thanks again.
Ellis
ellisrue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2005, 7:45 PM   #4

Quote:
But I will say that I think this is a problem that others certainly might run into, so I do feel this is a button placement design flaw
That "S" button you refer to is a Shortcut button, and can be assigned to many other functions beside "Resolution", which is the default shortcut. See page 82 of the owners manual.

Pat
Reddog99 is offline   Reply With Quote