Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Sep 26, 2005, 4:14 PM   #1

This cam is driving me bonkers, I've never had such a hard time with focusing with any digicam I've ever used! It's almost impossible to get it to focus lock and even then it seems it's always focused elsewhere (something off to the side in the background will be in razor sharp focus but the main center subject is blurry).... does everyone have this much difficulty with this camera or is there something wrong with mine?
Zcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 26, 2005, 6:01 PM   #2

Gidday

Try putting it in spot metering and aiming at contrasty vertical objects on or near your subject and lock the focus on that (half press shutter button)

Cheers Dom
roxydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2005, 7:38 PM   #3

Also try setting AF Mode to "Single". This has helped me.

Pat
Reddog99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2005, 1:23 AM   #4

@zcarroll: sounds familiar to my experience

@Dom: I've heard that advice before, and I'm sure it's good, but I have to giggle when one is frustrated by autofocus missing the target, and the advice is to focus off the target (and presumably maybe the focus will accidentally hit the target ).

:-)

Michele socal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2005, 7:04 AM   #5

Reddog99 wrote:
Quote:
Also try setting AF Mode to "Single". This has helped me.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Pat
Red; I've seen something similar to this in some other posts. What does it mean?

Mack C in Brooklin ON
mackcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2005, 8:48 AM   #6

Gidday Michele

Does sound stupid does'nt it LOL

I do know that the spot metering is a must and as Reddog says "single AF"

To be honest i don't have many focus probs because i always use spot metering and not those other two -the problem is that every time that you start the cam it goes to that evaluative metering,which does'nt work very well most of the time.

So unless you've set up your prefs in custom mode and use that all the time,you'll probably be using evaluative metering.

Then again- there could be a lot of dud cameras

This is only my opinion,and i use manual mode 99% of the time

Cheers Dom
Old Oct 2, 2005, 2:38 AM   #7

I guess I've just been spoiled with my casio z750 and what a joy it is to use compared to this canon. I've tried playing with the manual focusing but that seems pretty lousy. I just don't think with this kind of camera we should have to play these sorts of tricks with it to get it to come up with decent results. I think I'm going to take this back and get a Panasonic FZ30.
Old Oct 2, 2005, 8:48 PM   #8

Gidday Z

Sorry to hear you had no luck-did you try the spot metering\af single? And yes the manual focus is a joke-but at least it has the option(good for lightning, macros and hyperfocal).

I have the FZ5 as well and i read the focusing on the FZ30 is as good or maybe better,and the focusing ring sounds like a big bonus-pity it's so big-the s2 is as big as i'd ever go for a cam.

Good luck on whatever your choice

Cheers Dom
Old Oct 3, 2005, 1:54 PM   #9

yes, I tried the af single, and found I actually had worse luck because it pretty much seemed to guarantee the focus would just be slightly off, with continous if I just shot several dozen I might get lucky with one or two. I played with the metering as well. My manual focus with the casio works great, so I was disappointed with the canon's.

I really ruled out the pan fz30 also because it seemed the canon was pushing it size wise -my wrist got sore after taking just a dozen or so test shots with the fz30 if you can believe it. But the canon is just too unreliable for me. Also I find all the buttons and menu locations and the inability to change some features in some settings highly aggravating with this camera. I end up having to be in manual mode all the time to change whatever I want but then I have to change it all. In hindsight I'm beginning to see why the sony uz arranged menus and buttons the way it did although at first I thought the canon was better.
Old Oct 3, 2005, 2:10 PM   #10

here is a quick link that might help you or others with the S2 focus

http://www.digicamhelp.com/canon-s2-...2-focusing.htm

it lists some good suggestions in a nice concise format
VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote