Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Oct 1, 2005, 5:01 PM   #1

I noticed a dead pixel on the pictures taken with Canon S2-IS. It is obvious on the dark parts of the picture,like a white point. You can see it in the "Sample Photos" of Steve`s review,at IMG_0368 and IMG_0186 in the midle-up side of the frame. I have the same problem on my "Fujifilm Fine Pix A210" from since it was new. Isthis a common defect or is this a reason to send back the camera to the manufacturer for fixing it (warranty)?
Dan P is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 10, 2005, 4:02 AM   #2

Hi there Dan,

The pixel you saw is not a "dead" one. A dead pixel will allways appear black. This is a stuck pixel or a hot one. In my opinion there is not neccesary to return the camera (I have a blue one from the beginning on my S1). These king of problems seems to appear quite a lot, so there is no assurance that the new camera will not have the same issue. It is very easy to remove the spot in PS. Also the camera will remove it by its self when the exposure will be equal or higher than 1.5 sec. Noise removal will be used and the spot will be considered as noise, so the proc. will remove it form the output image.

Cheers!
Bodhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2005, 5:28 AM   #3

Hi Bodhi,

Thank you for your answer.I learned about stuck,hot and dead pixels,after I posted the message. You are right,it is a stuck pixel. Unfortunately,my cheap Fuji A210,has not a such system that removes a stuck or a hot pixel,so it apears in every picture I take.

On the other hand,I studied many camera reviews (photo galeries) and I didn`t see any"bad" pixel,until this one (S2-is) and of course,at my Fuji,so,I think it`s not an usual defect. I consider it is a defect,because I don`t want to waste my time for fixing that pixel in PS in almost of the pics I took.

I don`t intend to send back the camera (Fuji),becausethe shippingcould cost too much. I`m living in Romania and Ithink that is not possible to fix it here. Doe`s anybody know something about?

I`ll buy a new one,it`s Canon A610 (or 620) and I hope it has not a such defect!

Cheers!

Attached Images

Dan P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2005, 11:37 PM   #4

This is what I wrote on this forum in 03- 2005:
I really think many , if not all camera have this problem
but few people notice it . (Just have to take a completely
black picture and look at it on the computer with a zoom of 1-1 (no zoom)
and you see if you have a "stuck" pixel )

----Now I think many , many camera's have this problem , but few people
see it . :
I bought a Canon A95 (5Mpixels) 4 months ago , one week later
I noticed a White pixel (always the same)on my first low light pictures
(My iso is always fixed at 50 ISO)
Got the camera exchanged for another one , SAME thing but on this one
the pixel is purple much less visible (only on very dark picture) but always at the same place for this camera also. (decided to keep the camera, the purple one is hard to see)

Yesterday I bought a Nikon 7600 for my father SAME THING !
there's a very dark purple pixel . Will keep this camera also ..
See this pixel in the attached picture

Attached Images

zira11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2005, 2:40 AM   #5

Hi!

I have the same problem. One purple pixel visiable almost on every picture in Kodak CX 4200, and the same problem with Canon Ixus II. Fortunetly it isn't difficult to fix that, and remove it from pictures. There are many programs which are dedicated for dead/hot pixels removal. In my opinion FlameOut is one of the best of them. You can correct all photos in a few minutes. I heard that is possible to modify firmware to elminate those hot pixels, to map them out . I have even phoned to Canon Poland. This operation is free when you have warranty. If you don't, it cost in Poland 100 zlotys/it's about 30 USD/.
lukas_dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2005, 2:40 AM   #6

Here it's my hot pixel
Attached Images

lukas_dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2005, 3:55 PM   #7

me also, i have a few permanant blue pixels in my S2.
RONiN of Hillbillies is offline   Reply With Quote