Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Mar 9, 2007, 3:27 PM   #91

I don't know what the problem is but it's not showing video or pics. The screen is totally fuzzy now and it's not changing. I can view pics clearly that were taken before the problem but now i can't take any pics or capture any video. The problem is 100% now. I am from Trinidad and there isn't a canon office here so i'm not sure who to carry it by.....:sad:
fatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2007, 11:42 AM   #92

Pradeep

I bumped into your post when I was seacrhing for a solution for my CCD problem in my S1 IS

I started experiencing black outs since March 2007

could you please give me Bobby Singh's number/contacts so that I can connect with him?

Please!!!

ashok

ashrksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2007, 7:00 PM   #93

Sorry for the late reply. Pls try the Canon main website in the USA and present them your problem. They might be able to channel you to the right center to take care of your unit. FYI.
adang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2007, 9:17 AM   #94

Well, to begin with, a greedy post to say the least..!!!..

I just took my S1-IS for the same CCD issue. They told me it would be repaired free of cost. Earlier my friend was told the same thing. But they replaced the camera itself!! (BRAND NEW S3) ...so I am wondering if they are still replacing the cameras or repairing them.

The problem is that there were 5 people at the same time with the same problem. So I am really doubtful about replacements, unless they plan to get themselves bankrupt !!!!
kvish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2007, 11:45 PM   #95

KVish,

where did you take your S1 IS to?

I mean, which city? center?
ashrksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2007, 3:09 AM   #96

No more good news from Canon India:

My Canon S1 IS was repaired for faulty CCD in May 2006 in Holland;

againtheCCDfailedend ofMarch 2007; It was send to Chennai in India for repair because they claimed that from March onwards they would not replace faulty S1 IS's anymore;

it came back with working CCD, only now the flash was not closing plus suddenly in video mode there was a big background noise all the time.

I don't understand Canon at all: this is the fastest way towreck the good name it once had.
antonk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2007, 4:56 AM   #97

Canon India (Chennai) now did the best thing; they replaced my twice CCD-repaired Canon S1 IS with a Canon S3 IS free of cost.

Better late then never.

antonk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2007, 3:56 PM   #98

That sounds like exactly what happened to the camera I bought my mom - an A540 - but I don't see it on their list or noted as an advisory when you go to the A540 page on the Canon website. She could view previously taken pictures but could not use the CCD to take pictures and if she took pictures with the viewfinder, it was all black. She discovered this on the first day of her month long European vacation! Luckily hers is still under warranty and my dad had another camera with them. Haven't tried to get it repaired yet under warranty but hopefully I can help her get it done quickly.
PhotoPhanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 8:30 AM   #99

Strange!

I have already had the same problem with my S1 IS camera after using it for about 2.5 years. When i went to the local repair center of canon (I live in iran), they said they used to exchnage them with S3 IS cameras (but with charging fee :O) but for now, they don't do it and they just repair it with a cost about 200USD (about half of the price of an averagre digital acmera) and, i have to wait for about 2 months cause they are currently out of stock of the necessary stuff:roll:. (Theyclaim thatthey are a subdivision of canon middle east, whose headquarters is located in dubai).

Well, seems like i have to forget canon forever and go for some other brand (i am thinking about nikon coolpix or SLR series), but it is very strange to me that how a company like canon could act like this with its customers. Any suggestions?

Regards
boroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 10:07 AM   #100
Administrator

Quote:
Well, seems like i have to forget canon forever and go for some other brand (i am thinking about nikon coolpix or SLR series), but it is very strange to me that how a company like canon could act like this with its customers.
Well, I don't know why they won't fix it for free. I'd try to escalate the issue and point out the service advisories to them.

But, a number of cameras from other manufacturers have been impacted, too (Nikon, Pentax, Minolta, Olympus and more).

The problem sensors were made by Sony, and most camera manufacturers have models using their sensors. A number of other manufacturers posted similar service advisories. ;-)

Newer models shouldn't be impacted.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote