Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jun 16, 2007, 12:54 PM   #101

Multi-post-induced-java*****-error...
dburnett77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2007, 12:55 PM   #102

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Well, seems like i have to forget canon forever and go for some other brand (i am thinking about nikon coolpix or SLR series), but it is very strange to me that how a company like canon could act like this with its customers.
Well, I don't know why they won't fix it for free. I'd try to escalate the issue and point out the service advisories to them.

But, a number of cameras from other manufacturers have been impacted, too (Nikon, Pentax, Minolta, Olympus and more).

The problem sensors were made by Sony, and most camera manufacturers have models using their sensors. A number of other manufacturers posted similar service advisories. ;-)

Newer models shouldn't be impacted.
I bought a cheap A460, one of the newer models, and it suffers this phenomenon. At first, I noticed a band of purple in the LCD within sun light coming in windows, then it degraded to a distortion of bending horizontal lines within the frame to a wave pattern.
I got angry when I email tech support, and they said reboot it. And gave me bad directions on how to do that. Then got another response that said it would have to be repaired, and I may be charged fees.
Fortunately, I'm within the time period for returning it to the store of purchase for refund or exchange for another item. Which I will do.
I ran that little reboot gambit before with some other computer equipment, and they just try to get you to keep it until you can't return it for refund.
Thinking about an Olympus.

Old Jun 16, 2007, 12:55 PM   #103

Multi-post-induced-java*****-error...
Old Jun 21, 2007, 2:25 PM   #104

In case anyone were interested, here's a sample of the distortion. It's strange, at normal scale, you don't notice. But, at thumbnail and various other scales, it's visible:

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...torted_img.jpg

:
:
:
}

Old Jun 21, 2007, 3:43 PM   #105
Administrator

dburnett77 wrote:
Quote:
In case anyone were interested, here's a sample of the distortion. It's strange, at normal scale, you don't notice. But, at thumbnail and various other scales, it's visible:

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...torted_img.jpg
That's because the problem isn't present in the full size image. ;-) You can see a problem if a pattern of detail you're photographing is close to the frequency a sensor is capable of resolving. It usually shows up in fabrics and closely spaced detail.

Manufacturers use a combination of things like an Anti-Aliasing feature to delberately blur the image some, as well as incorporating methods into the interpolation algorithms to reduce it.

But, that's not the issue with your sample.

You're seeing aliasing from the resizing. Your camera's sensor is fine.

Sometimes using a different resizing algorithm can help the issue. Some image editors and viewers don't use adequate anti-aliasing when downsizing. Ditto for the resizing algorithms used by online photo services. Sometimes, their resizing algorithms leave a lot to be desired.

Here is a wikipedia article discussing Anti-aliasing techniques:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-aliasing

I use Lanczos more often than not when downsizing. The amount of resizing can impact it, too. Here is one article discussing downsizing in ways to try and avoid it.

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...ze-for-web.htm

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2007, 4:19 PM   #106

I believe i have this CCD problem on my digit camera .

See photos here

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=574677&forum_id=15

What do you think ?

Appreciate for any opinion.

Regards
Pedro

pedro nuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2007, 4:26 PM   #107
Administrator

pedro nuno wrote:
Quote:
I believe i have this CCD problem on my digit camera .

See photos here

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=574677&forum_id=15

What do you think ?
I already told you what I think in that thread (it's a defective CCD). The symptoms shown in your photos are classic (i.e., typical) for this CCD problem.

See Dave Etchells' article on this subject at this link, and note how the photos look at the top of the page:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/badccds.html

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2007, 5:38 PM   #108

Hello JimC

I saw your answer ! thanks a lot for your opinion and suggestion.

Soon i will send my camera to support , i will tell you what are their conclusions and general support quality.

Regards
pedro nuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2007, 11:42 AM   #109

Hi, Everybody, :-)

After watching so many posts regarding the CCD problem, I want to share mine. I have a Canon A95 which I have been using for two years. Actually I handle with great care but even after that, one fine morning I found it showing a purple band on the upper portion of the image. Changing batteries, cleaning, rebooting, resetting it to factory defaults did not help. After a day of googling, I found this forum and a lot of other posts on the net showed that I was not alone with this problem. The camera is made in China and after visiting the Canon website I wrote 2 mails - one to the N.America tech and another to Gurgaon service center here in India. The America tech people wanted to senda prepaid label so that I can send to them for repairs. They confirmed it to be the notorious CCD problem most likely. From Gurgaon, I got the advice to take the camera to the service center here in Kolkata for repairs. I took their advice and submitted the faulty camera at Princep Street, Kolkata. They were nice guys and reassured me that they will do their best. I was a little afraid at first as Ihad lost the papersand documents related to the camera in the previous year in a theft and thought I may have to pay a huge charge for the repairs.

I had asked for an estimate of charge and on the very next day they informed me that Iwon't becharged a single penny. They did not ask for any purchase proof either. After a couple of weeks they informed that the repairs were completedand I may collect my camera from their offices.

After I got my camera, I was verymuch impressed with the image quality. Perhaps the CCD assembly which they had changedwas better than which I had in the past. The picture was far more clearer and sharper and all that without burning a single hole in the pocket even after warranty expiration.

Hats' off to Canon for the excellent serviceto their Customers.

Thanks, Canon Asia.

And Happy Snapping !!!

Koel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2007, 10:32 PM   #110

Does anyone have any experience with this problem in the US? How did Canon handle it, repair or replace? I live in south florida (hot & humid) and am about to send in an S1 IS to Canon USA. Thanks!
tekesta is offline   Reply With Quote