Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Aug 18, 2007, 3:58 PM   #111

I'm having the same problem with my Powershot S2 IS. No impact, in fact it's hardly been out of it's case for the year that I've owned it. Turned it on a couple months ago and everythign works but it's like the lens cap is on. All pic and movies turn out black, everything in the viewfinder is black. Previous images on the memory card display as do all status icons.

Did you contact Canon and were you able to fix the problem? I will seriously reconsider buying another Canon... very dissapointing. I know this was a major flaw in the S1 IS, have any other S2 IS owners experienced something similar?

- M
maspevig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2007, 9:08 AM   #112

Hi,

Ambi here from India, Chennai. Facing the same symptoms black screen in both view finder and LCD in my S2-IS. Can any one help me out for getting replacement or free service..

Thanks in advance..

Ambi
jtambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2007, 9:17 AM   #113

Hi,

Ambi here from India, Chennai (presently in US and will back to India by next month). Since last week, facing the same symptoms black screen in both view finder and LCD in my S2-IS. Can any one help me out for getting replacement or free service..

Thanks in advance..

Ambi

jtambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2007, 9:03 AM   #114

You will find you are not alone .... there isover 100 other experiencing the same problem.

http://www.**********************/digi....html?qid=3894
fiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2007, 3:15 PM   #115

My camera problem see here

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=574677&forum_id=15

was solved free of charch by Canon –Portugal , i just payed to sent it to canon

support . It took me too months to get it fixed.

They changed CCD and confirm our suspects about the problem.

Generally i`m satisfied with their support !

Regards
pedro nuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2007, 8:51 AM   #116

marceloros
and other members,

pls advice where to should I aply concerning CCD issue in [shadow=aqua]Israel[/shadow]. I tried Karat, as exclusive distributor of Canon, but did not receive any answer up to now.

I have A70 abt. 4 years old. Sudenly it start to show black display, and makes black rectangles instead of images. All the menues are working, can see them on my black display. Flash also works. I believe it can be classified as CCD problem.

I just do not know where should I apply to.
viva121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2007, 9:51 AM   #117
Administrator

Black rectangles? That's odd. I don't think I've seen that before. Are you sure it's not a mechanical problem like the front lens cover not opening all the way?

You should find additional contact information somewhere on their web site. I can't read it, so you'll have to look for it:

http://www.canon.co.il/

I see some other contact info on this page, too (so, you may want to try the regional headquarters if you don't get a satisfactory response from their reprsentatives in Israel):

http://www.canon-europe.com/Contact_...ope/Israel.asp

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2007, 12:08 PM   #118

JimC,

thanks for the links.

The lense is opened, what i can see.

canon.co.il I have tried already (I believe it is the samelike Karat, the exclusive distributor of Canon in Israel, because the content of the sites is similair).

No response up to now. Will wait for some more time, and will write to your links.
viva121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2007, 12:50 PM   #119

Date: 22nd Oct 2007

I was almost loosing hope in canon, but now I am happy to hear about support from canon.

I brought a ZR65MC digital video camera in 2004 from US and on the very same year June I got the blackout issue. I sent mails to Canon USA, Canon India., but no reply for my mails.. I went through internet, but could not find any such details others facing like in this thread.. Finally I traveled from Bangalore to Chennai Canon's authorized service centre http://cameraservicecentre.net

They told me the CCD has to be replaced.. and they charged me INR.8500Rs. I was not at all happy about this as Canon doesn't cover international warranty and to be called themselves as a global company.

Even after this service the ZR65MC worked only for 4 MiniDV recording.. and again died.. Complete black screen while recording video.... I was really upset and kept the camera in a place where I don't see it again...

Around the same year 2004 we also brought a Canon PowerShot A95... and it was working fine till recently.... and I was happy about its performance... Even though I was afraid to touch it on any given day....

The day has come this week..., I saw the complete black screen (some lines/shades here and there on the screen of the light ahead) when I took my A95 camera to take our festival season pictures... all of us were really sad about the canon's product quality...

So I again started my research on these camera issues in the internet and came to know about this mail thread... Also now there is a notice from canon at http://www.canon-asia.com/index.jsp...henomena_notice

Today soon after reading this thread I contacted canon head office in India by e-mail.. and Canon India replied on the same day to bring both camera's to the service center in Bangalore. I am happy and taking the camera to the service center tomorrow...

Will update this thread after getting the service from Canon.. after going through this thread I am expecting zero cost on fixing these issues....

Thanks for this thread and all the information given here so far..

Date: 23rd Oct 2007

Today I went to "
CANON CARE CENTRE
191/1, 5TH CROSS,
MALLESWARAM, BANGALORE
KARNATAKA, INDIA
Pin : 560003
Tel : 080-41280150/151/153
Mobile : 9341903447
Email : [email protected]
Contact Person : Narsimha Shastry

I met Mr.Narsimha Shastry and front desk staff and discussed about the CCD issue and Canon's notice on this issue. CSC (Canon Service Centre) inspected both devices and acknowledged the issue on CCD. I clearly told to Mr. Narsimha Shastry that I am not going to spend any money on servicing these devices as I have already spent INR8500 for a Canon manufacturing defect on my ZR65MC. (Luckily I have the service records including the receipts for the CCD change in my ZR65MC from http://cameraservicecentre.net ) Mr. Shastry very politely replied saying these repair will be done free of cost and I will not be charged. At this point I was happy about Canon Service in India. Mr. Shastry requested about 15 days to fix this issue on both Camera's :-(.

I also requested Mr. Shastry about Canon refunding or compensating my INR8500 which I spent on my ZR65MC in 2004. I demanded this as I have then explained these issues on ZR65MC to Canon (in 2004) before repair and Canon did not offer free service and now Canon acknowledged the manufacturing defect part in my ZR65MC. Mr. Shastry recommended me to write to Canon Head office, and now I am drafting the request for the same. (Will update more on this part later after I know the status from Canon)

I will be a happy customer only if Canon accepts my request on refund/compensation and also to fix the defective parts in my both cameras.

Date: 31st Oct 2007
Today I got the my ZR65MC from Canon Service Center, Bangalore. They have not charged any amount to me.

Now regarding the amount which I spent on ZR65MC in 2004 for changing CCD, Canon-Delhi asked me to contact Baiju Nambail, Canon-Chennai as I got it fixed in Chennai. Canon-Chennai accepted my request without any further question, and will send me a DD or Cheque to me after receiving my original bill.

Now I am waiting for my PowerShot A95 to get it fixed. I will be getting it in about a week's time.

Thank you very much Canon for accepting all my requests and fixing both devices.

Hope these info helps others who face similar situation in India.

Regards
Ashok
Bangalore
ashoknp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2007, 10:28 AM   #120

Hi,

I have the same CCD problem with the S50. You can send me email at vick_venkat AT yahoo. Lets get a list of people who have this problem. I am in the Eastern US.
vishnu11 is offline   Reply With Quote