Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Nov 27, 2007, 4:16 PM   #121

Just wanted to give an all-around thanks to those who have contributed to this thread. My S1 IS went from good pictures when I used it in the morning one weekend in October to blue and purple streaks when I handed it to a friend that afternoon (eek.) This topic really helped me figure out what was going on. The S1 IS has been added to the CCD service advisory, so two weeks ago I contacted Canon's email support, sent in the camera, and yesterday a new (well, refurbished, but working) S3 IS arrived as a replacement. It may have taken a long time for them to acknowledge the problem with this model, but I'm pleased with the way they handled my case. 8)THANKS for the information!

Rebecca
jaquimas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2007, 6:09 PM   #122

Hi, I come from a little island and unlike other camera brands we havea good agent for Canon. I bought the S1 IS from them almost 4 years ago and I paid something like $1000 for it. I could have got it for half from the internet but a similar CCD on a JVC GR95 camcorder which I had bought from England (through internet),went haywire with a similar problem to the present CCD which is affecting camera models. nowIt took me almost a year and half until JVC UK accepted to repairit for free, and with that I had to have an address there, which I did not have. Anyways a local friend who had family there managed to get it fixed at least, although it took ages.

So coming to a month ago, I started experiencing the purple blurred image now and then, Iwas stilltaking some good pics though but it came for a few minutes and backworking perfectthe next. Couple of weeks ago I was out, going on a fossil hunt, but very bad weather was settingin.Some good pics were called for butthe minute i powered, itjust went purple and by the time it came good it was pournig and i was running for the car.. I took it in next day and left it at canon. They phoned meafter a couple of days; they said that until they see the problem it cannot be registered it. They said they will check on it now and then to see if the problem crops.three weeks afterthey phoned me up saying if it will be okay for me if they gave me a new one. With and S2 I would have been happy, however they gave me an S5. At least the high amount of money I had paid back then came to reward me

Last but not least, has anyone else experienced the purple problem which came and goes now and then.Or did it stay like that once it came?

Webers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2007, 8:01 PM   #123

Hi JimC,

I think Canon has a new problem to list regarding the SD950IS Would you check my thread on theCanon forum. I am still troubled. I displayed the pics and pans to a seasoned salesperson today and he thought it was the cone around the lens distorting the image coming in the lens also. It is still such a new product.

I could send you samples but I don't know how I tried but it might be too many bites.

Thanks. :?
Rick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2007, 6:04 AM   #124
Administrator

Rick12:

Any number of things could cause Panoramas to have visible seams (different exposure between frames, and more).

In any event, that's not going to be a defective CCD issue (what this thread is about), and it's unlikely a defective camera either. You do have some differences in things like vignetting and distortion between cameras. In those kinds of cases, you need to overlap the images more, and/or use a focal length with less distortion (for example, most lenses will have more barrel distortion at their wide angle zoom position. so it's a good idea to zoom in a little bit). That makes it easier for the software to stitch them.

Exposure can also be a problem between frames making where images are stiched more obvious if Exposure Lock is not being used.

I'd suggest asking for some tips in our Panorama / Stitching Forum

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2007, 3:32 PM   #125

Webers wrote:
Quote:

Last but not least, has anyone else experienced the purple problem which came and goes now and then.Or did it stay like that once it came?
Hi, In my case the CCD problem started when my S1 IS was about 3 years old. Occasionally, one to few pictures from same session had the purple-like color. The problem didn't get much worse during few months, until the CCD completely died, reacting only to very bright light. After three weeks I decided to drop the camera to Canon service during a business trip, checked that the problem still persisted, drove 200km, and when trying reproduce the problem to the guy in the service center, the problem was gone...

Well, they agreed to check the camera anyway. After three days they called me back, and told me that my camera was indeed defected by the CCD problem, and would be fixed for free. Unfortunately, they could not promise that the spare part would be available anywhere in the near future. I was asked if it would be possible the replace the S1 with a current S5 model, which I agreed. At that time the camera was about 3,5 years old. My extra losses were the old el-cheapo 1GB CF card that couldn't be used with S5, as well as the well worn carrying case that was too small for S5. Not a big deal.

This happened in Northern Europe. Originally, I bought the S1 from Germany when it was newly released model and not yet available in local stores. At the time, it was fairly expensive camera with all the required accessories. The most important thing to me is that it was a right decision to invest to S1, even the one I had did broke up. My case was handled very well and quickly by Canon and the service center, despite it was the week just before the holidays.
okaalto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2008, 11:10 AM   #126

I have 2 questions here, hope someone can help me!!
1) What are the actual symptoms of ccd image sensor problem?
I have a G3 and A95, both lcd on play mode shows the images (prev captured ones) but on the capture mode, it is black screen and i cannot capture any image at all. Is this possible to be due to the ccd image sensor problem?
2) G3 is not in the list of ccd image sensor malfunction. Hence, is it because it is not one of the tested models or its ccd is not using Sony's? I brought it down to the service center and the person just told me that it is due to optical lens issue and said that the list comes from japan and since G3 is not in the list, they cannot do much for me unless i agree to change the optical lens. However, the A95 I sent in (on the same day) for repair is still under investigation now.
I really want to know the possibilities as both cameras I had bought is giving me the same problems and I cannot use it any more
And the way the customer officer replied, i really feel doubtful.
Thanks for any advice and help rendered!!

xcalilbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2008, 11:15 PM   #127

I have 2 questions here, hope someone can help me!! i just feel socheated!
1) What are the actual symptoms of ccd image sensor problem?
I have a G3 and A95, both lcd on play mode shows the images (prev captured ones) but on the capture mode, it is black screen and i cannot capture any image at all. Is this possible to be due to the ccd image sensor problem?
2) G3 is not in the list of ccd image sensor malfunction. Hence, is it because it is not one of the tested models or its ccd is not using Sony's?

recently, I broughtboth G3 and A95down to the canon service center. However,after investigation for 3 days, canon replied that my G3 needed to change the optical lens while 5 days later canon replied that A95was repaired at no cost!

i simply cannot understand! :?

Both cameras are having the same problem, with no image on both play and capture mode. So why only G3 is optical lens problem?

When I question abt the symptoms of the CCD issue, (cos I do not want to spend on changing the lens if it's not the lens problem!), canon told me thatthe list comes from japan. Since G3 is not in the list, they cannot do much for me unless i agree to change the optical lens for a fee.The A95 will be sent to their factory for investigation and will change if need be.

I am really curious to know, cos I sent in both for repair on the same day,with exactly the same symptoms, but only A95 is repaired at no cost:?! Just want to know if G3 COULD be also having the CCD problem, since it is using CCD afterall...

any ideas?
Old Jan 27, 2008, 5:55 AM   #128

Hi,

This probably doesn't help you much, but as far as I've understood, certain types of CCDs (manufactured by Sony?) were affected. This was announced in Oct 2005, however the S1 IS and A95 models were added to the list in the fall 2006. Although the G3 was also manufactured in the same time period 2002-2004 as first affected models, could it be possible that it has different type of CCD not using the technology which caused the problems?

This could be most likely true, since G3 had already 4Mpix when announced 2002, and was, in my opinion, more prosumer camera at the time, compared with the A-series cameras mostly included in the list of affected models.

EDIT: So my actual point was, that Canon is not fixing it free, since if it does not include the faulty type of CCD.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 11:37 AM   #129

hmm...in that case, how can i find out what is the brand of ccd that G3 is using? any idee? :idea:
Old Jan 30, 2008, 10:11 AM   #130

Actually, I have no idea how to find out the CCD manufactuer. The fact that Sony made those faulty CCDs, was found from http://www.imaging-resource.com/badccds.html . Canon never mentioned this in any of official announcements. It seems that there's very little information in the web about who makes CCDs to which cameras.