Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jul 31, 2009, 7:49 PM   #151

A friend of mine sent in two cameras (an A75 and a A85 I believe) last month for repair, and got them both back in about a week. They are working perfectly now.
Capt22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2009, 6:35 AM   #152

My thanks to this website and contributors.

I had my Canon Ixus 500 recently show the exact same ccd problems as the photo's some of you have contributed over the years. I hope Canon Australia will repair it free of charge as they have Overseas. Its in pristine condition and has rarely used since new.

Up until now the i500 worked beautifully. I was really disappointed that it failed so suddenly in the middle of a holiday for what it now seems should of been a major recall.
I haven't had much luck in finding any advisory from Canon Australia. They have not given a recall for the evident ccd problems.

I'd be interested to know peoples experiences with Canon Australia in getting repairs done as Canon appeared reluctant to admit or discuss the issue.

Cheers
zixo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2009, 7:22 AM   #153
Administrator

Point them to this article on the Canon Australia web site. Note that your Ixus 500 is listed as one of the models with the problem.

http://www.canon.com.au/support/cust...D=powershota80
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2009, 1:21 AM   #154

Jim
Thanks very much for the link. I couldn't find it in any of my searches on their website. I must of been searching incorrectly looking for ccd failure.

I tried by phoning both the Canon repair and Technical departments on 2 separate occasions. After a long wait I spoke to service people who didn't know much about a recall issue or where to lead me to any link on their website.

Thanks again.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 9:36 AM   #155
Administrator

Please let us know if they fix it for you.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 6:29 PM   #156

I Got my I500 camera back from Canon this week. It was delivered FOC
There was no nothing written outlining what the problem was or that it was fixed free.
First I knew of it was that it simply arrived at my doorstep nicely packed by courier. It took 3 weeks
Cheers
Old Aug 22, 2009, 5:56 AM   #157
Administrator

Great. I'm glad they fixed it for you.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 8:31 PM   #158

In Oz, I e mailed them, got an instant reply e Powershot A95 (2004 model) and have mailed it off. Doing it by phone was rather hopeless and long winded - I gave up. This is what they said (in part) to my e mail. I could not find info on website, but they did attach a long and detailed document whic said much the same as others have in the forum.
Hi

Thank you for your enquiry. You will need to return the camera directly to Canon at one of the addresses shown below, freight to Canon is payable by the customer. Just complete the Repair Form available on our website at www.canon.com.au/cameraservice and send with the camera. There is no need to include accessories. If you use an underwater housing with this camera, please indicate so on the Repair Form.

The camera will be assessed and if diagnosed with the CCD fault it will be repaired at no charge as per our website announcement and returned to the customer free of charge, however if the camera has failed for an unrelated fault then a no charge quote will be issued accordingly.
textiletraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2009, 11:12 PM   #159

Hi,I have the exact same problem with my S2is....one day the ccd just failed...blank screen! Tried new batteries.....opening and closing the battery compartment.Looked up this and other forums and found out about the CCD problems.Haven't had time till now to complain to Canon...but will now!
Cdnphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2009, 8:15 PM   #160

My Power Shot A75 just developed the blank screen CCD issue, after 5 years of gentle use, and after calling Canon support here in Canada the other day the fella was real nice and said if the issue is the CCD then it's still a free repair (I think till March 2010). If it's not the CCD then the repair centre will call me with the cost to fix what's wrong. So I'm hoping it's the CCD as I really like my A75, but if it's another issue I'll just buy a newer model like the A1100IS.
ScottC is offline   Reply With Quote