Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jun 19, 2006, 8:05 AM   #21

Spoke to Canon today...said they couldn't assess the problem without inspecting the camera.* They did confirm that the Powershot S1 iS is not on their list of CCD problem cameras.* Have sent the camera and I* will post details of the response and assessment to the CCD failure.* At present Canon state there is approximately 20 working day turn-around time at their workshop in Sydney.
pottera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2006, 4:53 AM   #22

Could someone please have a look at the separate thread I started at:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=15

and see whether they reckon this CCD problem is my gremlin?

BigBad64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2006, 3:53 AM   #23

Woh.... your attached photo is like exactly what I'm facing now!!! So what is the solution? is this a defect?

But one thing funny is, it fails very frequent but once in a while, it works well.

I bought in Dec 2003.
cone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2006, 3:53 AM   #24

Woh.... your attached photo is like exactly what I'm facing now!!! So what is the solution? is this a defect?

But one thing funny is, it fails very frequent but once in a while, it works well.

I bought in Dec 2003.
Old Jul 9, 2006, 3:56 AM   #25

woh,,,, this is like exactly what I'm facing now. So what is the solution? Is this a defect?

But one thing funny is, it fails most of the time, but once in a while, it works well.

I bought in dec 2003.
Attached Images

Old Jul 10, 2006, 4:53 AM   #26

I also have the same problem with my S1 IS. Bought it in Sydney, use it 1 year in Indonesia.
Never been dropped. After using it for 1,5 years without no prob, suddenly when taking pic, i saw in lcd, the result pic covered in purple. And sometimes part of pic just like being erased. First i thought it was the batteries thats run out, so i changed them, and the prob seemed been resolved. A week later i took pic and all the pics covered in purple.
I'll try to ask to canon service center in jakarta, n' will post the result

bernardoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2006, 8:06 PM   #27

Glad I found this site....thanks Steve!!!

My Powershot S1 IS also started having similar problems. The LCD screen and viewfinder just stopped showing images, for no apparent reason. It's only 13 months old (ofcourse 1 month over warranty). Never dropped it, took care of it. I used it for July 4th fireworks and it worked great as usual! 5 days later I went to take a picture and the LCD viewfinder and screen were completely black. Check the lens cap...it was off.The interesteing this is, I could still view previously taken pictures on the lcd screen but only when reviewing pictures, not taking them. I'm a fan of Canon products and was certainly surprised when my camera stopped working after only 13 months...

I contacted Canon, where they gave me two options: Send it back for repair ($89.00 USD for labor + parts), or I could opt for a refurbished S2 IS for $199.00 USD.

Just minutes ago (after thinking about whether to send the camera back or just can it),I walked over to my S1 IS camera, turned it on to play around with it and...wow, the screen is working again!? Not sure how that work out , but here's what I do know....

1) Before the LCD screen and viewfinder stopped working, it was very very hot
and humid( N.E. USA). I had accidentally left the camera in my car for a day or
two during the hot and humid temperatures. I Went to us it, LCD screen was
black but the LCD still displayed the onscreen shooting options.

2) After finding the LCD screen and viewfinder were not working, I left the camera in
my basement, where there is zero moisture and cool temperatures. After sitting
in this atmosphere for about 24 hours, I turned it on and the LCD screen now
displays images.

The only factor is the temperature, but I still can't figure out why the LCD screen simply quite, then came back...for now atleast. Still weary about the whole situation...certainly knocked down my confidence in S1 IS!!

I will still read up and notify if anything else happens!

SmallerFasterCheaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2006, 7:44 AM   #28

Just received our Powershot S1 iS back from Canon Australia today.* Kudos to them - they repaired it free of charge despite being out-of-warranty, repairing the 'optical unit' - I assume the CCD.* I was predicted 20 days turnaround time which it was exactly.The documentation from Canon states that 'Due to the age and condition of the unit we have elected to do this repair free of charge.'I don't know whether Canon have changed its stance on this model as a known faulty CCD affected model and hence this result or whether we have just been lucky.* It reinforces my excellent experience with Canon and I look forward to getting a few more years use out of this great camera.* Good luck to anyone else trying Canon Australia.
pottera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2006, 6:38 PM   #29

Hi, I'm new in this great forum (I figured out how greatvery shortly , getting to here from Israel.

If it's OK I would like to ask about a CCD problem that my G3 camera, 2.5 ys old, suddenly got.

When I'm taking pictures, especially dark ones, I see a vertical line all over the LCD. This line cames out on the pictures taken all throughabout the bottom half, towards the left bottom corner of the picture. I can say there is a "burned" pixel next to that line (bottom right area near the line), but what's that? a large line of pixels burned ???

* never dropped, gentle care, so young camera so sad
* I cropped the picture around the problematic line

Attached Images

marceloros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2006, 12:01 PM   #30

To those lynching Canon "disposible powershots" on the CCD issue; it's Sony, the manufacturer of the CCDs who is at fault not Canon. Having recently sent my A75 off for a FOC repair, it's sony I blame.
ziffius is offline   Reply With Quote