Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Oct 29, 2006, 2:33 PM   #51

This problem may also affect the S2 IS. A couple of months ago my S2 IS, received for Christmas last year, had it's CCD stop working. Anything already on the memory card, or transferred to it, displayed without problems in play mode, but in record mode I got nothing. The imager would not power up. Sent it in for warrenty repair, but moved for a new job before getting it back. I'm waiting for my wife to take some shots and send them to me so I can see how it's working now.

I haven't seen others posting problems with the S2 IS so I hope it was a rare problem.
scorp64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2006, 3:52 AM   #52

Well, seriously. Canon Asia replaces all the faulty CCD of older models even my 2 yrs old A85 with equivalent model - A530 (does seem to be not quite equivalent). And I even went out to get the S3 ... hope's there's no prob with it or I'm gonna switch.

So I do belive that Canon Europe should be on the same path. Hey, i think they charge Sony for it.... coz It's a Sony's CCD that's gone haywired.
fat_miao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2006, 4:02 AM   #53

Hi fat_miao,

Canon Europe officialanswer is that they have no connection with Canon Asia and frankly couldn't care less if Canon Asia is admitting that there is a problem with S1 CCD.

In Europe, if you want your S1 fixed, you'll need to pay.
nip90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2006, 8:54 PM   #54

Great news for Canon S1-IS owners (Canon-Asia)...

Canon admitted the CCD fault and repairing the S1 for free of charge regardless of their warranty.

http://www.canon-asia.com/index.jsp?...enomena_notice

- Rakesh Gupta

rakeshkota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2006, 1:00 AM   #55

Now, Good News for Canon-Europe users also. They have included S1-IS with other models for a free repair of faulty CCDs.

As the proper link to the page was uncatchable, I am posting the summary of the page here:

Applicable models

Digital IXUS II, Digital IXUS IIs, Digital IXUS V3, PowerShot A300, PowerShot A310, PowerShot A60, PowerShot A70, PowerShot A75, MV590, MV600, MV600i, MV630i, MV650i, MV690, MV700, MV700i, MV730i, MV750i, MV5i, MV5iMC, MV5, MV6iMC, Digital IXUS V2, Digital IXUS 430, Digital IXUS 400, Digital IXUS 330, Digital IXUS 500, PowerShot A40, PowerShot A80, PowerShot A85, PowerShot A95, PowerShot S60, PowerShot S1 IS,

Solutions

Thank you for using one of our Canon products.

It has been found, that in rare case, some of the CCDs, used in Canon digital camera and digital video cameras, have a problem that causes abnormal image output.

We apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused. Canon will offer free repairs where an error is caused by this malfunction.

Canon would like to advise our customers of the details of this issue and our policy for handling it.

Problem details
:
Among the CCDs used in the affected products, it has been confirmed that in extremely rare cases, under high-temperature/high-humidity environments, some of the internal wiring comes off.

If this defect occurs, the signal is not output from the CCD correctly when in shooting mode. This results in image abnormalities such as:

Images do not appear

Image colors are abnormal

Images appear distorted

These symptoms can be confirmed on the LCD monitor.

Solution
:
We kindly request users who have confirmed these symptoms to contact the nearest Canon Service Centre.

Free repairs will be made for affected products in cases where it has been confirmed that the internal CCD wiring has come off.

Please click here <https://self-service.canon-europe.com/ce/pages/ss_Layout.cgi?LINK_ID=8270> to find a list of approved local service centres.

Old Nov 14, 2006, 9:48 PM   #56

I bought a Canon Powershot S1 IS for about $200 last Christmas. It was considered "Used and Refurbished", but it was in perfect condition. I've taken 1000s of pictures and have had no problems. I have never dropped it, and have kept in in perfect condition. Yesterday, it was working fine, and today when I turned it on it appeared to be fine, but when I took a picture I got blue, pink, and purple stipes that filled the entire picture. Here is a 1-1 crop:

There was no problem with the preview image before I took the picture. When I record movies, they're fine. But whenever a picture is taken, I get those ugly lines. I can see a tiny bit of what I photographed behind them, but just barely. Resized example (it looks much worse 1-1):

Also, this happens when I use the Remote Shooting on the computer. Again, this only happens on picture taken, not on movies and the video preview. On the page that Canon describes the CCD problem, it says "regardless of warranty status, Canon will repair, free of charge", yet when I go to place a repair order, if I ender in a purchasing date more than a year ago, it estimates it will cost about $100, but if I do it in less than a year it's free. However, because I got it used and refurbished, I don't think the warrenty still counts. Wether or not they charge me is a whole nother story that I'll face in the next few days, but I just wanted to let people know of my problem, and hear about other similar experiences.

So here's a list of questions that I'm curious about...
Does anyone else's camera make those same exact lines on the whole picture?
How good is Canon's Customer Support?
When you mail it in for repair, do you just Fed-Ex it and pay for S&H there, and then they fix it and pay for the S&H back?
About how long does it take for them to repair it?
Has anyone had success?
Do you think they'll make me pay because my camera has been used and refurbished already (on other words, do you think they'll ignore the "free repair regardless of warranty" deal)?

Thanks in advance for any help.
The_Skyscraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2006, 5:34 PM   #57

Just a few updates for everyone- I've found out that when I use Burst Mode, the first image taken is severely damaged, but all the following ones are much less worse. Example (picture of blank wall, cropped 1-1):

After the second image is taken in Burst Mode though, there is no quality improvement. However, even after the 2nd+ picture, the quality is still unacceptable, I just wanted to point this out.

Secondly, I want everyone to know that this is not necessarily Canon's fault.

It's Sony's.

So first they manufacture exploding laptop batteries.
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Sony-...es-37848.shtml

Then they try to sell a $600 video game console.
http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...TION_3_Console

And then they admit to manufacturing bad CCD sensors.
http://www.css.ap.sony.com/consumer/....aspx?Id=45536

And yes... Sony DOES supply Canon's CCDs on most cameras.
http://wetpixel.com/i.php/full/recal...-sony-sensors/

So here's what I found out on another forum about why this failure happens:
Quote:
What happened is that Sony bonded the glass over the top of the CCD with an adhesive that off gasses a chemical that corrodes the very tiny wires inside the CCD assembly, resulting in a failure. Sometimes you can get some very strange display from the CCD before it totally fails. Some of the Sony units that come to me look like the image is melting wax.
The author of this quote has also said,
Quote:
I know way too much about this CCD failure as Sony is the one that makes the CCD in the Canon cameras. Go through them and they will email a UPS return label to you so there is no cost to you at all. Just a week or so without a camera. They will change the lens (yes the lens), CCD and calibrate the flange back and other internal code to make it all good. ...Go ahead and do the return shipping label and pack the camera for repair. They will get you going again with a unit that has been bonded with the new adhesive.
-http://web.hgcs.org/forum/index.php?topic=1478.msg18205

So, I hope this helps everyone, good luck to anyone and everyone who have suffered through Sony's stupidity.

The_Skyscraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2006, 2:16 AM   #58

To Skyscraper,

I have gone through almost same problems as stated by you except that I couldn't tested for movie mode. The problem will go worsen day-by-day or hour-by-hour. Canon has provided excellent support in this case, as I feel personally. Your camera should also be get repaired or replaced with free of cost by Canon as their policy states. Why not try to contact them or send your camera to your Country's main service center?

All the best.

- Rakesh Gupta

Old Nov 21, 2006, 12:43 AM   #59

Yupp, better send them back. I got the same issue just like yours with my A85 but it was greenish.
fat_miao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2006, 3:09 PM   #60

Maybe, it's time to go back to FILM :blah:
JockScott is offline   Reply With Quote