Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 18, 2007, 6:47 AM   #71

Hi, I am Pradeep from Mumbai (India). I too had a Canon S1 IS CCD failure. I took this to Canon Service Centre, Jogeshwari, Mumbai on 21/11/2006. They were very courteous and kind to take my complaint and assured me that problem would be solved within 3 to 4 weeks. After a fortnight I got a call from their side stating that camera cannot be serviced however can be replaced with Canon S2 Is or CanonS3 IS as per the availibility. On 13/01/2007 I got a call from them and learnt to get over whelmed with delight that they are giving me Canon S3 Is as replacemt. I collected the Canon S3 IS the very same day (box packed brand new) in lieu of Canon S1 Is. Man I just cant belive it. Canon has gone one step ahead in building good customer relationship. Hats Off to Canon-Asia. If at all any time in future I think of Camera its surely is Canon. Oh I wish to thanks Mr. Bobby Singh who was very kind and resposive person to talk to. He sorted out my problems. Thanks a million Bobby.
Pradeep67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2007, 7:25 AM   #72
kgs

I bought Canon A70 2 years back and the same problem started coming after using it for one year. Finally, Last year, I sent it for servicing at Canon Service Center in Jiddah, Saudi Arabia. They identified the problem and fixed it. It costed me nearly USD100. After using it again for couple of months, the same problem startedagain. I am sure,Canon Service Centre in Jeddhadid not do a good job eventhoughthey charged me heavily for temporary fixing.
kgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2007, 5:52 AM   #73

Greetings from Australia,

After reading other people's stories regarding their cameras, I thought I'd share mine.

My S1 IS started playing up in Dec 2006, with colour shifts and not showing images. I found that there had been similar problems with other Canon cameras on sites and forums such as this & sent my camera to the camera service centre listed on the Canon Australia website, with a brief handwritten note, stating that I was having problems with the CCD and that I would like it repaired. (please)

Two weeks later a goods received notice arrived in the mail, and I emailed the customer service centre to clarify whether they would repair it for me. They said it would be unlikely, as I didn't have any proof of purchase documentation. (it was over 2 years old, & I hadn't kept anything like that).

I was expecting to get a quote from Canon telling me how much it would cost to repair. However, today I received a package from them containing a brand new S3 IS for atotal cost of $0:00! Was I shocked? - yes, but very appreciative.

Thanks Canon for your great service.

Anotherloyal customer. (I've still got my EOS 5 that I plan to upgrade to a digital SLR someday)

Tim.

Now all I need to do is buy a 2Gb SD card. (~$80)

tjm_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2007, 10:11 AM   #74
SKM

I had a delightful experience with Canon's service team in India. My S1 IS developed a CCD problem. Cannon acknowledged it and agreed to fix it free of cost. After 2 weeks when they could not get the replacement part, they offered me a replacement Camera - S3IS. Now I am a happy owner of a new camera (although Cannon offered me the new camera without any warranty - as my S1 IS was beyond its warranty period). There are some accessories which I had bought for S1IS that I will not be able to usewith S3IS (e.g. 1 GB CF card, card reader, remote control) but I am still delighted with the replacement offer.

Thanks to Cannon India team !

- SKM

SKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2007, 4:26 AM   #75

Hello.

I am very concerned about the topic. I got my S1 IS in winter 2004 as a christmas gift frommy oddparents so theyknow I love this stuff about cameras, it was bought in Canada and it has 2 years or more working fine, no problems at all. It showed up a *strange* problem about the pictures when taken about a week ago,showing horizontal white lines, preview and video modeare allright. Immediatly I came to internet forums related to this ussed and found out that this happens to be a very-well-known-problem with this and many other camera models and brands and they were many Canons-around-the-world like Asia and Europe repairing this problem free of charge and in some cases, they're replacing the camera for the most recently S1 IS relative S3 IS. At this time this problem looks like one easy-to-solve now many Canons-around-the-world admit this is a manufacture problem and the only thing I should do for my help is to send my S1 IS to my nearest Canon Service Center but...

The real problem comes up here: I am from Colombia andso far I've found nothing related to this usse in Canon Latin America, even there's no Canon *as is* in Colombia, only 2 main dealers authorized by Canon to operate its products in my country. I rang them two this morning and got no satisfactory answer at all, apparently they know nothing about this problem and when I mentioned Powershot S1 IS they sounded ignorant about the existence of this model, finally all I got from both of them was that if I wanted to I could send the camera to the Lab and I had to pay the diagnose tariff ($25) plus shipment, and wait 15 working days to be notified of the *REAL* (thiswas very enraging to me... Theyweredoubting about what I was telling them!!)problem of my cam, then, alreadygiven the diagnose they'd inform me about repair cost (estimated $400) and then wait about 2 months to get my repaired item back, so I argued about the 2 months of delay and they told be it was because of Canon's delay when sending the original parts for the repairment. When I complained again about this being a massive problem of Canon's and some other brand's customers and that other Canons-around-the-world had announced free of charge repairment and replacement programs, they told me they could do nothing if my warrantyhad alreadyexpired and anyway they knew nothing about this problem at all.

Guys please help! what could I do? Should I contact any other Canon like Canada or US? Do you think they could respond?
Edgextreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2007, 4:44 AM   #76

Hola :-)

I believe you can just keep complaining just like me.

We ear very good feedback here lately about Cannon service, but unfortunately it's about just in the Asia area.

I'm from Israel, and I believe had a problem similar to yours (can you post here a picture showing your issue? I posted one a page or 2 back). I got nothing from Cannon other then "we are sorry you have no guaranty anymore", and at the end payed ~$325 for a new CCD, while mine was 2.5 years old (G3 camera). I have a friend they agreed to fix his A70 camera with the purple screen issue for free, but after 3 weeks they offered him to upgrade for $30 to something newer since they were not able to get the parts. You see, here they don't replace for free from S1 to S3 or A70 to A520.

Wish you luck with your debate,

Marcelo.
marceloros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2007, 4:52 AM   #77

First Shot
Attached Images

Old Feb 6, 2007, 4:53 AM   #78

Instantly-Second Shot
Attached Images

Old Feb 6, 2007, 4:54 AM   #79