Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Oct 6, 2005, 1:56 PM   #1
Administrator

Canon has issued a Service Advisory about CCD isues potentially impacting a variety of it's Digital Cameras and Digital Video Cameras, including the A60, A70, A75, A300, A310, Ixus V3, Ixus II, Ixus IIs, and more (video cameras not listed in this post).

Updated. Canon has expanded the list of models impacted by this problem:

Quote:
Service Notice: CCD Image Sensor Advisory (Updated Oct.31, 2006)

This Service Notice will update Canon U.S.A., Inc.'s previous CCD Image Sensor Advisory, dated October 6, 2005.

It has come to our attention that the vendor-supplied CCD image sensor used in certain Canon digital cameras and digital video camcorders may cause the following malfunction: When the product is used in recording or playback mode, the LCD screen and/or electronic viewfinder may exhibit either a distorted image or no image at all. While reports of this malfunction have been rare in the United States, we have determined that it may occur if the product is exposed to hot and humid environments.

Notice of Additional Affected Products:
As a result of our continuing investigation of this malfunction, we have determined that the 11 models listed below, in addition to the 16 models listed in our Service Notice concerning this malfunction, dated October 6, 2005, may be affected.

Affected products:

- Camcorders: ZR60, ZR65 MC, ZR70 MC, ZR80, ZR85, ZR90, ELURA 40 MC, ELURA 50
- Digital Cameras A60, A70, A75, A300, A310, S230, SD100, SD110, A40(*), A80(*), A85(*), A95(*), S1 IS(*), S60(*), S200(*), S330(*), S400(*), S410(*), S500(*)

*Models added as of Oct.31, 2006

Malfunction:
It has been confirmed that the connecting parts of the internal wiring of the CCD used in affected products may become disconnected, especially if the affected products are stored or used in high-temperature and high-humidity environments. If this occurs, the signal is not output from the CCD normally in Shooting Mode, which may cause a distorted image or the absence of an image. This malfunction can be confirmed on the LCD monitor screen during shooting. The same malfunction also appears on the recorded image.

Canon's Response:
Effective immediately, and regardless of warranty status, Canon will repair, free of charge, the products listed above exhibiting the above-mentioned malfunction if Canon determines that the malfunction is caused by the CCD image sensor. Canon will also cover the cost of shipping and handling in connection with this repair.

U.S. residents are kindly directed to contact the Canon Customer Support Center for further assistance at 1-800-828-4040. Support hours are Monday thru Friday - 8:00 AM to 12:00 midnight; and Saturday 10:00 AM to 8:00 PM (all times EST). Alternatively, if electronic support is preferred, please send your email to carecenter@cits.canon.com

This information is for residents of the United States of America and Puerto Rico only. If you do not reside in the USA or Puerto Rico, please contact the Canon Customer Support Center in your region.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused by this issue, and appreciate your understanding in this matter. Thank you for your support and patronage of Canon products.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 6, 2005, 4:11 PM   #2

This is for South & Southeast Asia only. Has Canon US issued a similar advisory?
DaiButsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2005, 4:23 PM   #3
Administrator

I haven't found one in one place that lists all of the impacted models (yet). ;-)

But, I do notice that if you look at the support choces for a specific model impacted, you'll see link on each model's page that says something like "Click here forimportant information about your Canon Product".

Then, you'll got to a page like This One

To look up the support page for a specific model on the Canon U.S support site, Click Here.

Then, look on the page found for a link about it. The link will look like this,after you get to the support page for a camera model impacted:

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2005, 6:37 PM   #4

Hopefully Canon might also be able to look into the cracked LCD syndrome for SD300, IXUS 40 and related cameras.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2005, 11:58 AM   #5

I'd like to see an advisory soon on the lens failures on A-series cameras. My A60 became a disposable camera and tooexpensive to fix andcompact flash cards arealsonot useable in new systems.

All camera reps and big box stores customer serviceare well aware of this issue but can't get any admission yet from Canon. Not goodP.R and they've lost me as a Canon customer. I'd be interested in hearingfrom others with the dreaded e-18error messageor of any recalls. There are several postingsand websites popping uponthis issue but customer so far iseating the repair costs or like me throwing camera in garbage can.
Brian J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2006, 4:48 PM   #6

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. This looks like the problem I am having with my A70. Called Canon after reading your post and they said it appears to be the problem and are sending me a shipping lable to repair it free of charge. Again, Thank You,

Tom Pemberton

coyotebmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 9:42 AM   #7

I am sorry but Canon digital cameras are the worst on the market...I have had three and taken them all back. Redeye, battery indicator, battery life, silly functions and on and on......

Panasonic cameras are by far the best cameras made all around. Just pick any of them up and you will see.

bobbybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 5:43 PM   #8

Thanks for the camera purchase tip. I'm still looking for anything but a canon disposable. Was looking to buy one of their printers but now, anything but a shoddy made canon product. Customer service was non existent. Kept insinuating I dropped it. They also kept reading the same scripted response to me which was insulting. You can find the same script on their e-18 (we don't) help page.

I also have to considercosts of new memory cards and accessories now that my oldcardsetc,are of no good. Over $300.00 of cards alone and Canon wouldn't evenhelp me with a camerathat would take these2 year old flash cards.

So, I'm looking at about athousand dollars to replace what I lost.Don't think anyone would blame me for being unhappy with the way I was treated or my decision to stay away from canon for life.

Brian

Brian J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2006, 12:43 AM   #9

I have the Canon S1IS and had 2 dead and 1 stuck pixel, it was fixed and haven't had a problem since. There is no link like that in my camera's section.

I have taken over 6500 pics.
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2006, 6:42 AM   #10

"I am sorry but Canon digital cameras are the worst on the market...I have had three and taken them all back. Redeye, battery indicator, battery life, silly functions and on and on......"

A pretty pointless statement as you haven't backed it up with an argument. Of course you are entitled to express your personal opinion - for what it's worth. Maybe its the reason their camers are so popular.
ikedart is offline   Reply With Quote