Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Oct 9, 2005, 8:29 PM   #1

I currently have a PowerShot A60 that, when it was working, took good pictures for me. One of my biggest complaints, though, was that it was horrendously slow at focusing. What really got me is that when I read reviews on it, they all praised the A60 for its speed. Lies! It's one of the slowest 2 mp cameras that I've operated. I just can't give the reviews quite as much credit as I have before.

So now I'm here reading reviews on the S2 IS and everyone says that it is "fast". I don't know if I should believe them or not. How does it compare to the A60/70?

Nizidramanii is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 10, 2005, 1:11 PM   #2

I had the A60 before theA510 (andI'm waiting for A610, while a friend is waiting for his S2IS), I have never noticed unacceptable slow focus speed,

I don't feel the A510 is really faster, in low light it's maybe faster but the focusing is sometimes bad.

I tested a S1 IS that sharing the same digic1, nothing faster too.

I had a minolta Z1, that was faster even in full telefoto.

Did you think about a defective A60?

S2IS got digicII, I had never took photos with a digicII but I'll make a comparison as

soon as my friend receiveshis, and can even test it with A60, as it's a friend of mine I have sold it to.

claudemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2005, 2:18 PM   #3

I've used three digital cameras so far. I started with an Olympus C-700UZ in 2001. Early this year I got a Panasonic DMC-FZ20, and a few months later got a Canon S2 IS. Overall, I would say that both the FZ20 and S2 IS focus faster than the C-700UZ, but all of them are slower to focus at long zoom, which I tend to use a lot, and they all focus faster in bright light than in low light. The focus speed also seems to depend on the size of the subject relative to the full frame. I've had an awfully hard time with all of them trying to photograph hummingbirds. I've had very limited success using manual focus with all three cameras. Having said all that, I'm still very happy with both the FZ20 and S2 IS, but I use the S2 IS almost exclusively now because it's more versatile than the FZ20, as well as smaller and lighter. Except for shooting hummingbirds, I've seldom found the focusing speed of the S2 IS to be a problem.
DaveLundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2005, 8:36 PM   #4

Thanks Dave. Hopefully I won't find the focus speed to be much of a problem. I won't be photographing many humming birds (I would if I could see one for long enough!), but I'll probably want to be able to snap a quick picture now and then during watersports or something.
Nizidramanii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2005, 4:03 PM   #5

I made aspeed test:

after focusing, the shutter lag is about 0.1 secondfor both A60 and A510; but

without pre-focus it's 1.6second for the A60versus 0.8 second for A510;

most of the time focusis good for both, but in verylow light the A510is out of focus;

When I heard to the lens mechanism, the A510 lens moves clearly faster, and it's

a digic1 cam;

sowith the S2 it should be even faster.

claudemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2005, 2:10 PM   #6

I have an A60, and have recently got an S2 IS. The S2 feels much faster in starting up, focusing and zooming. I haven't done any measurements but I would say it does things twice as fast.

If you want really fast, you'll need to go to an SLR like the EOS 20D. I used to have a 20D, which was great, but I sent it back because I could not read the green data display in the viewfinder whenever the ambient light was at all bright.

I don't find the S2 too slow, even compared to the 20D.

Hope that helps.

Henry
HenryUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2005, 4:56 PM   #7

I currently use a S2 IS camera. Focusing speed is excellent, in good light conditions it's almost comparable to a digital SLR, in low light conditions it is still acceptable.

I have previously used a Pentax MX4 (didn't like it too much), some HP cameras (really terrific focusing times) and I must say the S2 is a strong performer.

Regards
schmiedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2005, 3:37 PM   #8

I believe that the DIGiC II processor provides about a 60% speed improvement in focusing times over DIGiC I.
sbddude is offline   Reply With Quote