Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Oct 11, 2005, 11:15 AM   #1

I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong. And the user guide that came with my Canon A85 isn't much help.

50% of my shots are really clear, but the other 50% are blurry. For the most part I'm using the AUTO setting... (I haven't mastered the other settings and AUTO seems to be the only one that doesn't produce red faces.)

I know that I'm supposed to push the trigger halfway down and wait for the camera to focus itself (and for the green box to appear on-screen). I'm already doing that. But if anyone knows of another remedy, I'd really like to hear it. Thanks in advance.

Boldstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 11, 2005, 4:36 PM   #2

Try turning off the AiAF and using center point focus. That usually helps focus as you point the camera where you want it to focus instead of the camera trying to figure out the item to focus on.
mes444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2005, 9:51 PM   #3

AiAF? Can you explain what that is? My user manual is useless.

Thanks for the tip though! I'll try it out.

Old Oct 12, 2005, 10:18 AM   #4

AiAF is some auto focus systemthat Canon developed which tries to guess what item in the viewfinder you are trying to focus on. It is correct about 50% of the time. Therefore sort of useless. Turn your camera on. On the back side, press menu, there should be three little icons on the top, a camera, some tools and a person and camera. Highlight the first one, a camera. The first item under that heading is AiAf, use the directional button on the back to highlight the AiAf (Down arrow) and then use the right arrow to move the ON to Off for Aiaf. press menu again, and you are done. I have an A510 but they are similar. You have to plow through your instruction manual or you will be missing the whole fun of this camera. It's got lots of settings, etc to make pics better.If you hate manuals, go to Steve's Review ofyour camera and he explains many of the features. Good luck.
mes444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2005, 8:25 AM   #5

Thanks mes444. You may have hit the nail on the head. I've been thinking the very same thing actually, that the camera seems tofocus on whatever it wants. I didn't realize I could change that setting. But I just fixed it following your instructions. Thanks for the tip. If there's one thing I can do right, it's aim the camera at my subject! I don't need Canon's help there.

We went out for my wife's birthday last night and I took a few pictures at the restaurant and few more at home. Most of them came out blurry and when I was looking at them on the computer this morning, things in the background seemed to be clear but the people's faces weren't. I'll definitely take a few practice shots tonight and let you know how it works without the AiAF.

About the manual, I've read quite a bit of it.Plus, I'm usually pretty good at figuring out electronic stuff just by fiddling. But for some reason I'm being out-smarted by this camera. I'll give the manual another shot though. Thanks again.