Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Oct 23, 2005, 8:10 PM   #1

I want to get more into manual modes, but I'd also like a better 'point and shoot'.

My pictures are cars, items that I sell, my fast moving kitties and vacations in mixed lighting.

I'd like to stay with CF and AA batteries if possible.

I have been debating wheter a move toa G5 is worth it at my point or the A95...but the fringing problems have me stumped.

I mostly only know Canon. I used to use a Canon A-1 prior to my move to digital.

Å
alkemyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 2, 2005, 2:03 PM   #2

How about the canon A610?
sbddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2005, 11:08 AM   #3

sbddude wrote:
Quote:
How about the canon A610?

I am actually looking into that or the 620 now that I found out they do take AA's. I was told by a 'camera' store that they are both going to SD and battery packs.

I was leaning toward the A95, but it seems the 6xx may be the one to give it a run for the money...esp. video mode which I do use a lot esp for sound capture.

I have to make up my mind if I want to up the budget to a G series or dSLR.

I originally had a Canon A1 with a nice wide angle lens (I think worth more than the camera itself) that was great. I have not experimented with the A series screw on lenses yet.

Old Nov 4, 2005, 5:51 PM   #4

I'd rather you try to find an A95 instead. I don't like the image quality on the A610 or A620. There is vignetting in the sample photos. The images don't seem as clear as those from the A95. Plus the A610 and A620, like all the other new Canon A series cameras, take those dainty little SD cards, instead of CF, which I have invested enough in and don't feel like spending another 100 or so on SDmemory cards.

If I was shopping around for a 5MP point and shoot with advanced features, I'd try to find a Canon A95. Hell I'd rather have a USED one than a new A610.
pineywoodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2005, 12:47 PM   #5

Hi, The 610/620 image quality is superior to the A95. Just compare the sample photos on this site or other sites for that matter. The A6x0 provide much better IQ than the Ax5.
Mike
mjs818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2005, 9:50 PM   #6

piney and mjs this is my confusion.

There are alot of both parties touting the A95 and the new guard A610/A620

You have those saying A95 > A610/620 all the way.

Then how the A95 has Fringing issues!

Then well A610/620 have vingiting issues!

Then there are those saying A610 is a way better camera then the A620

Then you have those saying NO NO NO A620 is the best, remote shooting alone!

I only take web and 4x6 shots so my A70 may still be overkill , still I hear A95 and beyond offer faster and better pics. I take a lot of them, on average during a 1 week vacation my wife and I may rack up 600 pics on our two cameras...during an average night at home our cats may get 1 to a half dozen of shots each day.

I really don't care where my $300 or so buck go, I just want to have an improvement