Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Oct 28, 2005, 8:41 PM   #1

I currently have the option to purchase either a Pentax istDS or a Canon S2IS for the same price. I have BOTH cameras here with me now and am trying to figure out wich one to return. Why DO I need or anyone else need an SLR ??

I have ONLY taken in door tests so far and.................. The S2IS is MUCH better for in door low light shooting. The Pentax is dark and needs alot of light. I have ONLY tested the two under low in door lighting so far.

I'm STILL undecided !!
videosilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 31, 2005, 9:31 AM   #2

the only reason I have to return the Pentax is that it sounds too much like Tempax...

sorry, no technical assistance here :?
SMP_Homer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2005, 2:12 PM   #3

Wait a minute. ¿A dSLR and a P&S for the same price? Tell me where to go get my *ist DS and sell my Powershot S2 IS.

The Canon CAN'T be better in low light conditions, it's a matter of knowing how to tweak the settings. The Pentax works great with ISO 400/800, The Canon sucks on ISO 400 (too much noise on the pictures), that helps the Pentax to take better shots, and, the Pentax can use fixed 50mm F1.4 lenses which are great for taking low light pictures indoors.

Now, getting real, the two cameras can't cost the same, the Pentax sells for around 700USD with one lense, while the Canon sells for under 500USD, if prices are the same, it's because the Pentax comes without lense or the Canon has a huge overprice due to accessories, else they can't cost the same.

Finally, if you need a camera for indoors, go for Pentax (don't know why you got bad results, it just doesn't make any sense), if you are needing a compact camera that you can carry around and has a great zoom with image stabilization, and doesn't need any further photography knowledge, go for Canon.

Finally, if you don't want the Pentax and really got a great price for it, let me know, maybe I'm interested, so you don't have to return either.

Regards
schmiedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2005, 9:46 PM   #4

Pentax istDS & Canon S2 IS Night Shot.

Here you can see a night picture with a Pentax istDS & Canon S2 IS.

http://cgi.videosilva.com/cgi-bin/ik...ct=ST;f=31;t=2

http://cgi.videosilva.com/cgi-bin/ik...ct=ST;f=30;t=7
videosilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2005, 10:45 AM   #5

Well,

Both pictures are quite different situations. The one taken with the Canon was taken with a flash, and it's clearly noticeable. You should compare both cameras with higher ISO settings and in shots where a flash is useless (distant shots). There you would notice a huge difference between both cameras.

Regards
schmiedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2005, 10:38 PM   #6

IMHO I think the pic taken with the pentax is much better, the skin tone of the person is right on. The shot with the Canon is too bright and the guy looks really white. I would keep the pentax. No question.
Brandnugirl is offline   Reply With Quote