Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Nov 13, 2005, 5:02 AM   #11

I'm planning to buy a compact camera and have narrowed down my options to either the Canon A610 or the A620.
Other than the pixel capacity differences btw the two I've noticed two other differences.
1. In continuous shooting mode, the A610 captures images at 2.4 fps while the A620 captures them at 1.9fps
2. The A610 does not support Remote Capture (capture direct to PC)

Does the higher 2.4 fps continuous shooting rate of the A610 supersede the advantages of the A620's higher pixel capacity / Remote Capture??? (Steve's reviews show both A610 and A620 rates as 2.5fps and I'm wondering whether the test was actually done individually for both or just on the A610)

For a domestic user, are the 5mp / 7mp or Remote Capture differences btw the two cameras significant? Since the CCD sensor dimensions are the same (1/1.8") for both cameras, do you think the 5MP may perform better?
rbpinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2005, 6:55 AM   #12

I think this isn't "vignetting" but "light falloff". This issue appears in all A series camera so far. So it isn't a weakness of A610 alone.

Rudolf.

Dan P wrote:
Quote:
I own an A610 and I can tell it is a great camera.It doesn`t support RemoteCapture.

Vignetting? Yes,but only if you shot a plane wall,with flash,atWide angle. I did not see any vignetting in any normal picture I took,even at full Wide angle and maximum open aperture.

orion999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2005, 6:58 AM   #13

Looks like it is a "feature" of his PC. :lol:

And about MPEG4, is it some kind of royalty to be paid or due to cost of processing IC?

Rudolf.

Phil999 wrote:
Quote:
Hi

A question about the Movie capability of the 610/620.

I am curious why Canon have not gotinto MPEG4, since it apparently has great benefits in terms of memorysaving for videos.

However, for both models, Steve shows ( in his Sample Photos ) an AVI file and an MP4 file which says "QuickTime 7 Pro converted to MP4". What does this mean ?

Is it a camera feature ? Does it mean that one can convert the format in the camera and thus save memory ?.

If it is a convertion on his PC then what is the point of showing it here - one could convert an AVI from any camera to MP4 on a PC, wih appropriate SW.

Phil
Old Nov 13, 2005, 7:07 AM   #14

I own an A610, IMHO the extra 2MP is definitely less useful than a faster continuous shooting mode considering:

a) as you have mentioned the sensor is same size, I always think that packing 4MP (like A80) on such size of sensor is already the optimal point. 5MP, well can give you a tiny little bit more detail but at a trade off of noise level (you might not see them on final image coz' excessive smoothing is applied and smear the details:roll. 7MP is absolutely hardly any benefit.

b) by changing to SD card and Digic II the photo saving speed is greatly enhanced and now you really can keep shooting continuous for a dozen of images at full speed. Even after the internal buffer is exhausted still you can grab 1 frame per second. So it is much more useable than in A80/A95 times.

I dunno how many people really tried the remote capture function with their canon compact / snap cameras. Although I am not planning to use it anyway, I agree it is always best to include all possible features so may be canon will stuff it back into A610 in their next firmware update?

Rudolf.

rbpinto wrote:

Quote:
I'm planning to buy a compact camera and have narrowed down my options to either the Canon A610 or the A620.
Other than the pixel capacity differences btw the two I've noticed two other differences.
1. In continuous shooting mode, the A610 captures images at 2.4 fps while the A620 captures them at 1.9fps
2. The A610 does not support Remote Capture (capture direct to PC)

Does the higher 2.4 fps continuous shooting rate of the A610 supersede the advantages of the A620's higher pixel capacity / Remote Capture??? (Steve's reviews show both A610 and A620 rates as 2.5fps and I'm wondering whether the test was actually done individually for both or just on the A610)

For a domestic user, are the 5mp / 7mp or Remote Capture differences btw the two cameras significant? Since the CCD sensor dimensions are the same (1/1.8") for both cameras, do you think the 5MP may perform better?
Old Nov 13, 2005, 7:21 AM   #15

Finally it is my comment on A610/A620. I upgraded from A80 mainly because of the improvement on operation speed, lens aperture and video shooting modes. After playing with the various video shooting modes for a week I think A610 is a nice video-capable Still Camera but not a good video shooting camera. Yes the video looks as great as it could but, without a optically zoom and image stabilization it's just far from perfect.

I had considered S2 IS but unfortunately the tiny noisy 1/2.5" sensor is beyond my tolerance of lowest photo quality. When will canon plan to add IS into slim camera just like pana does? Or is canon leaving these good features for A910? :roll: