Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Oct 29, 2005, 2:01 PM   #1

Hy Guys,

I`d like to buy aCanon PowerShot A610 but I don`t know if itrealy has a high-quality video format....

Does anybody has a sample movie to send me?

It is a great camera?

My e-mail is [email protected]

Regards

Claudio
crsbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 4, 2005, 12:10 PM   #2

It's not going to be high quality at the max video resolution.

alkemyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2005, 6:46 PM   #3

Please don't get the A610. What hasn't been mentioned is that there is vignetting (blurry corners) in alot of the sample photos. I think the image quality is worse than the A95. Overall I think my 3.2MP A75 takes better photos than any of the new Canon A series cameras. Canon should have left the A75/85/95 as is. These "improvements" are a step back.

pineywoodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2005, 5:30 AM   #4

I can't comment on the remarks of pineywoodsman, but I have a question on the review of the PowerShot A610 on this site. The review mentions that the A610 supports Remote Shooting, and shows screenshots of the RemoteCapture software. It looks to me that screenshots are copied from an older A520 review.

Various other sources mention that only the A620 supports RemoteCapture, and not the A610. See for instance http://www.breezesys.com/PSRemote/features.htm#ps: "The PowerShot A410, A610, SD10, SD20, SD300, SD400 and SD500 cameras do not support remote operation and therefore will not work with PSRemote". Also the A610/A620 User Manual that I downloaded mentions that only the A620 has this feature.

Can an A610 owner please reveal the truth? Does the A610 support Remote Capture or not?
CornelisJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2005, 7:00 AM   #5

As an owner of the A610 I can tell you that it does not support remote shooting. Looks like Steve's review was done in a hurry which is a bit disappointing. You can read about it also on the A620 review here http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca...ew/index.shtml where they mention that the A610 doesn't support the remote feature. Also from my experience the camera doesn't throttle down the flash for macros.

Cheers
brunosferos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2005, 5:14 AM   #6

I think you're out of your mind ;-) The A6x0 is an outstanding camera. Definitely better than the Ax5 cameras.

You can check out some photos here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shanni/tags/a620/

or here:

http://www.pbase.com/isabel95/a610

The A6x0 is the bargain of the 21st century... so far
mjs818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2005, 6:47 AM   #7

I agree with MJS the Canon A610 is a great camera this camera takes the best indoor pictures that I have seen
tripleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2005, 3:51 AM   #8

I own an A610 and I can tell it is a great camera.It doesn`t support RemoteCapture.

Vignetting? Yes,but only if you shot a plane wall,with flash,atWide angle. I did not see any vignetting in any normal picture I took,even at full Wide angle and maximum open aperture.

Dan P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2005, 2:07 PM   #9

This debate is exactly why I wish there was a more scientific photographic test of the A610. Imaging Resource does that but they haven't tested the A610 yet. The sample photos here are what I was going by. But it's not really accurate, since the photos on this site were taken at different times of day and the year, introducing too many variables. I've found the sky can make a big difference. Introduce high clouds and your contrast and color suffers.The photos that mjs posted are proof that the A610 takes good photos. One plus is that the A610 has much less purple fringing than the A95. Main negative remains the SD cards. Also, Canon provided a 32mb CFcard with my A75, but why only a 16mb SD card with the A610. You pay enough $$ for the camera, plus it's more MP, they should give you at least 32, if not 64, since 5MP files are going to be larger. Sometimes you have to wonder if these camera companies are in cohoots with the memory companies (Sandisk,etc).:-)
pineywoodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2005, 4:57 AM   #10

Hi

A question about the Movie capability of the 610/620.

I am curious why Canon have not gotinto MPEG4, since it apparently has great benefits in terms of memorysaving for videos.

However, for both models, Steve shows ( in his Sample Photos ) an AVI file and an MP4 file which says "QuickTime 7 Pro converted to MP4". What does this mean ?

Is it a camera feature ? Does it mean that one can convert the format in the camera and thus save memory ?.

If it is a convertion on his PC then what is the point of showing it here - one could convert an AVI from any camera to MP4 on a PC, wih appropriate SW.

Phil
Phil999 is offline   Reply With Quote