Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Nov 10, 2005, 3:54 AM   #11

No continuous focus.

Exposure comp. was at - 1/3 sometimes, and not at other times. It made no difference either way.

The mode made no difference, either - M, P, AV, TV... all produced the same bad photos at maximum wide angle.

I don't claim to be a professional photographer of any sort - but I do know what I'm doing with a camera - even if the S2 photo makes it seem otherwise. I have no problems with my C-755, which is similar enough to the S2. Nor did I have problems with any of the non-digital cameras I've had over the years.

The S2 photo I posted above was autofocused - although you wouldn't know it by looking at it. If this happened only on occasional shots, I wouldn't make a big dealabout it - but it happened on every shot at maximum wide angle. Either something is off with the lens, or with the autofocus.

When Iused a 35 mm SLR, I very rarely used autofocus - onlyif it was too dark to focus manually. With these digicams,of course, 'manual focus' is not really manual, but merely a manually assisted electronic focus, and so it is often no better than autofocus.
EOS RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2005, 8:47 AM   #12

Could this be a compression issue? The Oly can save images in-camera as a .tiff, but not the Canon. Did you get a tiff from the Oly and later convert it to jpeg? In that situation the Oly was only compressed once when you saved it from tiff to jpeg. The canon image was compressed twice, once in the camera and again when you resized it.

It sure would have been a plus to have the tiff format available in the S2.
sedges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2005, 5:54 PM   #13

Quote:
The S2 photo I posted above was autofocused - although you wouldn't know it by looking at it. If this happened only on occasional shots, I wouldn't make a big dealabout it - but it happened on every shot at maximum wide angle. Either something is off with the lens, or with the autofocus.
Yeah something is definitely off with that shot. I have found my preferred settings to be iso 50, -1/3rd EV, IS shoot only (when im not doing video), not continual focus, superfine compression.

As far as it being a compression issue, I wonder about that. Do you remember the compression level? The S2 has pretty good choices for compression.
montana500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2005, 4:53 AM   #14

As I said in the other thread I began about this topic (without photos), I used the highest quality setting, and the largest size (maximum resolution). This means the least compression.

The S2 compresses JPEGs significantly more than the C-755 does. The compression ratio of the S2 was consistently between 5 and 8; while the compression ratio for the C-755 was always in the 4 to 6 range. This resulted in the 4 MP C-755 shots being larger files than the 5 MP S2 shots most of the time.

As for the photos above, they are both one-time resizes from the original JPEGs. Both originals were shot in JPEG at highest quality, maximumresolution (largest size) in the respective cameras. The original of the S2 photo above looks even worse than the resized version.

The S2 is now back at the store, destined to become someone else's problem, as my search continues.

It's too bad... I really wanted to like the S2 - and there were definitely things that I really did like about it. But one simply cannot overlook poorimage 'quality' like the one in the S2 photo above.

Perhaps the successor to the Nikon 8800 will be 'THE ONE'...? (if there ever is a successor, that is... it's been a while...)
Old Nov 11, 2005, 4:59 AM   #15

Uh...

Is there a reason that the photos which were once above are no longer there (in the first two posts)??
Old Nov 11, 2005, 10:19 AM   #16

i just thought of something and i can't believe that i didn't think of this a week ago when this thread first appeared.....

a while back i discovered that i wastakingregularshots in "wide angle converter mode" (when it wasn't attached). i noticed afterwards that all my shots looked much like the example you've given. after changing back to non converter mode my shots quite crisp again.

would this have been a possibility you've overlooked? i reskimmed the thread and saw no mention of this possibility.
RONiN of Hillbillies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2005, 5:10 PM   #17

I'm not seeing the pictures either.
Nizidramanii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2005, 10:18 PM   #18

Hey Ronin, that was a great thought regarding the image issue...

Here is a full size image, unedited, from my S2 IS. I took this picture at a park recently. It was at full wideangle setting. All EXIF data should be there. It's approximately 2 megs. Hope this will help dispel (or verify, lol) EOS RT's assertion that the S2 IS produces soft images at wideangle...

http://www.danshobbyshack.com/temp/IMG_1552.JPG
swgod98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2005, 1:16 AM   #19

Well, the S2 is gone now, so I can't check it... but I'm 95% sure that 'Converter mode' was not enabled. I went through the menus several times, trying to locate the source of theproblem - so I saw the 'converter mode' - and there was no reason for me to enable it, so I'm rather sure I did not.

Interesting possibility, though - thanks for mentioning it.

I'd still like to know where my photos in the first two posts went. Anyone have any ideas?

Were they censored??!
Old Nov 12, 2005, 9:02 AM   #20

EOS RT....i find myself accidentally hitting the menu button every day i shoot with the S2 (one of my pet peeves).in theroy it is possible to switch modes accidentally, but it is a long shot.

i don't understand why your pictures vanished either? :?
RONiN of Hillbillies is offline   Reply With Quote