Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Nov 7, 2005, 4:01 AM   #1

Ok... some have questioned my assertion that the Canon S2 produces noticeably soft photos. And so I offer evidence...

My assertion is based on testing one single solitary S2 camera. Is this particular camera faulty? Or is this what one can expect from the S2?

For comparison purposes, I also include the same photo (more or less) taken byan Olympus C-755.

Shutter speeds on both shots is 1/60. Aperture on the S2 photo is 3.5, while on the C-755 photo, it is 3.2. Both taken about one minute apart (the time for the C-755 photo is one hour ahead of the S2 photo because I had not yet turned the time back one hour for DST). Both at ISO 50; on Autofocus; 'cloudy' white balance (it was mostly cloudy, and the 'Auto WB' was considerably inaccurateon both cameras).

File sizes are the same - 2.2 MB on both cameras, despite the S2 being 5 MP, and the C-755 being 4 MP.

In addition to thesharpness differences in the two photos, note also that the colors in the S2 photo appear to be significantly more saturated. Sharpness, Contrast, and Saturation were neutral on both cameras...

I would post full (original) size photos if I knew how to, as the differences are even more noticeable at full resolution.

First, the S2 photo...

EOS RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 7, 2005, 4:43 AM   #2

And the Olympus C-755...

Old Nov 7, 2005, 4:57 AM   #3

Why is the C-755 photo showing, but only a link to the S2 photo?
Old Nov 8, 2005, 3:29 AM   #4

Anyone have any ideas as to why the S2 photo is so... crappy?
Old Nov 8, 2005, 10:40 AM   #5

i agree with you. the S2 picture is softer. i really have no idea why.
RONiN of Hillbillies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2005, 2:13 PM   #6

There's sharpness settings in the camera's. Did you check those?
swgod98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2005, 2:23 AM   #7

Yes, I adjusted the sharpness -contrast, saturation, and sharpness have only athree stepsetting on the S2 for some reason. None of the sharpness settings produced an acceptable photo.

Besides, the neutral - or 'zero' setting should not be this soft in any camera. To me, this sort of image is nowhere near acceptable. It wasn't just this photo - but every photo taken at maximum wide angle. I tried all the apertures. I tried spot metering. Always the same.

I expected to really like the S2. I wanted to like it - indeed, I did like several things about it - the articulating LCD screen; the fast access to drive settings; the AA batteries...And there were a few things I didn't like - no manual 'fine tuning' of the White Balance; the inability to set the camera up to be a separate 'drive' on the computer that one can save any file to; and its inability to 'remember' settings when the camera is turned off, then on again. I would have been willing to overlook these things - but I simply cannot overlook the pitiful image quality that the S2 produced at extreme wide angle.

Either the camera I tried was defective, or Canon is thinking that with the extra high saturation, most people will be impressed with the 'pretty colors' and overlook the actual badquality of the image.

Old Nov 9, 2005, 3:29 AM   #8

That is what I like to refer to as "auto mode" on the S2. NEVER use it. Use P-mode or the other modes. The S2 has the worst auto mode I have ever seen in a digital camera.

Here is what the S2 can do in other modes:

http://www.wilderness-sportsman.com/...credfalls.html
montana500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2005, 4:05 AM   #9

No,the camera wasnot in'Auto' mode. I haven't taken a photo in 'Auto' mode on any camera in about 20 years.

The above photos were taken in Manual mode (as indicated several times in the EXIF data). The S2 was producing the same bad images no matter the mode.

The photo you linked to is nice - but the resolution is too low to determine the true quality of the image.

Old Nov 9, 2005, 9:43 AM   #10

Did you have continuous focus on? Single focus results in more crisp images, continuos is for fast moving situations or shooting videos.did you haveexposure compensation set to minus 1/3rdrd?I know that has caused some problems in some areas. There really isn't alot of information. I have found the S2 needs to be setup properly to obtain the best results. It's not a point and shoot by any means.

Maybeyou should stick to P-mode until you get the hang of how the S2 works. It's finicky until you find the sweet spot. I haven't had any issues with it except for a briefuse ofauto mode and what Iwould call occasional soft focus. And that photo looks like an extremeexample of it, as if the scene just wasn'tlocked into focus.The area between the tree branches and the grass makes this apparent.

montana500 is offline   Reply With Quote