Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Nov 11, 2005, 5:21 PM   #1

I know that you can remotely trigger the shutter via USB on the S2 IS. I'm wondering if it might be possible to simulate that shutter trigger through a separate device that would use that same USB connection.

In other words, I'd like to design a little USB remote for the S2 IS. It probably is not a simple resistance or voltage being applied to the S2's port, rather, a signal that I'd have to simulate with some kind of communications controller. I don't know how to get more information on this though.

At this point, the lack of a remote shutter release is the only thing keeping me from buying this camera. The FZ20 is looking pretty tempting in that it has both a remote control and a constant F2.8 aperture across its zoom range, but the S2 IS has many little features that I really like, sans the remote.
Nizidramanii is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 13, 2005, 1:40 AM   #2

I do not own an S2 but you idea should be workable. It seems there was somebody made a USB key plugged into the port of electronic devicesto provide an IR/FM remote protocol. I guess the canon remote capture protocol isn't too complicated but first of all you need to invest in a recent model canon DCfor experiments to be done.

Rudolf.

Nizidramanii wrote:
Quote:
I know that you can remotely trigger the shutter via USB on the S2 IS. I'm wondering if it might be possible to simulate that shutter trigger through a separate device that would use that same USB connection.

In other words, I'd like to design a little USB remote for the S2 IS. It probably is not a simple resistance or voltage being applied to the S2's port, rather, a signal that I'd have to simulate with some kind of communications controller. I don't know how to get more information on this though.

At this point, the lack of a remote shutter release is the only thing keeping me from buying this camera. The FZ20 is looking pretty tempting in that it has both a remote control and a constant F2.8 aperture across its zoom range, but the S2 IS has many little features that I really like, sans the remote.
orion999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2005, 11:43 AM   #3

Do you have any more info on that USB key? There is software out there that you can monitor your USB ports with. I think that would allow me to see what I need to create a remote.

The device you speak of sounds wireless. At this point, I would be fine with a wired solution.

I'll ask Cannon about this, but I don't think that they'll be willing to give me much information.
Old Nov 13, 2005, 8:12 PM   #4

I asked Canon, and as I expected, they will not release any information to me.

It looks like a USB sniffer and a generic USB controller is the way I'll have to go.