Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Nov 13, 2005, 12:51 PM   #1

I recently had an accident with my beloved G2. The camera tumbled down a 150' cliff and while I did retrieve it, the fact that it landed in a tidal pool means I need to replace it.

I tried the Pro 1 in a store and it seemed great to use. I like to ring zoom and focus and it has all the features I'm looking for (except for TIFF). I was really happy with the G2 but would really like to get better control over manual focus and zoom, as well as having more zoom than the 3x I had in the G2.

The question is that dpreview and some owners have mentioned vignetting and noise at ISO 100 as problems. Could you comment please. Let me know what you guys think of this camera and whether I should just wait until the next generation or there is another camera I should look at. The A200 was another choice.

Thanks in advance for your help.

akassam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 15, 2005, 2:31 AM   #2

I have a Pro1 and previously used a G3.

I have not seen any vignetting with the Pro1 and I take everything at ASO 50.

As far as I am concerned it is a great camera and the detail captured is amazing.

Barry
Australia
Barry Hooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2005, 9:45 PM   #3

I own A Pro 1, my wife has one, and my son used mine and he got one. It`s

not a compact camera but then again it`s not so big as to be clumsy either.

The pictures are crystal clear clear even at 13x19 or cropped . The L series lens is

Great . I cant be bothered with a case full of different Lens. If you used one for a day you`d buy it. Good Luck with your decision.
Maxx1676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2005, 7:10 AM   #4

It is very likely that the Pro 1 will be dicontinued soon. Hence, if you really want one, you should wait a few months for prices to drop. On the other hand I really don't understand, why people would want to buy a Pro 1 in the frist place. It has no image stabiliser and only a whimpy 8x zoom. The Panosonic FZ30 doesn't cost much more and is much better any respect.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2005, 3:11 PM   #5

Actually it is "only" 7x Zoom.

I suppose the main reason is that it takes such fine clear pictures and is easy to use. The lense is excellent.

Also the price has already dropped by half.

There has been speculation for over 6 monthe that it has been discontinued. Still easy to buy, however.

Do you have a Pro1?
Old Nov 19, 2005, 4:30 PM   #6

There`s 3 Pro 1`s in my family....Is it for everyone,Well what camera is ?

I really have`nt found one fault with it so far. This Camera takesa Great picture. What ever camera you look up on the net you`ll find good and bad reviews.For me its an excellent choice.Would i recommend it to someone,Absolutely...If you listen to everyone on the net you wouldnt buy any Camera .Canon wouldnt embarrass their reputation by putting out a loser.
Maxx1676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2005, 1:36 PM   #7

Barry Hooper wrote:
Quote:
Actually it is "only" 7x Zoom.
Yes, the 35 mm equivalent is 28-200mm.
Quote:
I suppose the main reason is that it takes such fine clear pictures and is easy to use. The lense is excellent.
All 8 MP cameras have a noise problem above iso 100. This applies to the FZ30 in the same as to the Pro1. All Canon cameras suffer fromchromatic aberration. The FZ30 is much better in that regard. Its Leica lense is considered to be the best of all ultra zoom cameras. Also its image stabiliser is considered to be the best as well, while the Pro1 has none. I personally would never buy an ultra zoom without image stabiliser. Currently in Germany the best price for the Pro1 is 519€ and the best price for the FZ30 is 549€ (all prices include 16% VAT). In other countries the situation will probably be similar.
I don't own a Pro1 but I own a Powershot A70 and a Powershot S1IS. Except purple fringing I like both cameras.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2005, 3:52 PM   #8

Akassam, I cannot speak for the quality of pictures from the FZ30, I do not have one. Reviews have suggested that the Leica lens fitted is not top line Leica, but that may be hearsay and wrong. The Canon lens is rated very highly indeed.

With only 7x zoom, unless you have shaky hands, and with a reasonable shutter speed, camera shake does not show. An IS would be nice but the camera. to me, is OK without it.

In Australia the P1 costs more than the FZ30. $879, Pro 1 $1060. I considered the FZ30 but having a Canon G3 and with the good reports from owners about the Pro1, I bought a Pro1.

The pictures are great, just so much clear detail. The organisition of the controls on the camera suit me as I can work them without glasses. And the viewfinder I can focus without glasses and see all the settings. Perfect (for me).

The camera feels good in the hand. It is a bit bulky and heavy but no real problem as I do not do much hiking.

When one consders that the Pro1 in Australia started at many hundreds of dollars more than today's price the Pro1 is a bargain at $1060. And it is still selling, even though the FZ30 is only $879.

Old Nov 20, 2005, 10:51 PM   #9

FZ30's widest zoom is 35mm. Some would consider having a 28mm-200mm ("whimpy") zoom is more useful than 35mm-420mm.

Few problem with the FZ30:
- noise. Yeah you have heard it before, but dpreview found it a problem even at ISO 80!

- no TTL Flash!! This is absolutely inexcusable, considering a camera at this price range, this is their ?3rd generation LUMIX and their upcoming DSLR system which surely means they would have a TTL flash system in the works. Samsung on the other hand, has TTL flash in their very first prosumer attempt. I do a lot of flash photography, and I would not consider a camera without TTL flash.

- FZ30 is a MUCH larger camera - it is 15% heavier and 100% larger in volume than the Pro 1.

kassandro wrote:
Quote:
On the other hand I really don't understand, why people would want to buy a Pro 1 in the frist place. It has no image stabiliser and only a whimpy 8x zoom. The Panosonic FZ30 doesn't cost much more and is much better any respect.
kalak is offline   Reply With Quote