Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Nov 16, 2005, 9:31 PM   #1

I am looking to buy one of these cameras this weekend. They are both selling for under $300. The s70 looks like a great camera with lots of features and a higher megapixel count and a wider lens. THe A610 has a little longer lens and a little less pixels., but it is a brand new model and newer technology My main concerns with the S70 is that is last year's model and it only comes with the Digic 1 processor vs the Digic 2 processor. The longer zoon vs the wider lens is just a trade off. They are small enough to be able to carry around, but big enough to be confortable in the hand. Which is the better camera. My main concern is picture quality and camera performance. Any experiences out there?
mrminsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 16, 2005, 11:03 PM   #2

Yes I agree both are great cameras. Choosing which is very much depends on your photo shooting habbit and priority on features. As you said picture quality and camera performance is highest priority looks like A610 would be the choice. There is a huge difference in processor speed between Digic 1 and 2, especially the slower processor is applied to run a bigger photo. And IMO the photos from S70 is a bit too soft (possibly due to toomuch a smoothing effort on noisy sensor):

http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/pss70/sample-e.html

Of course, there are still other very critical factors such as zoom range(28mm wide angle vs. 35mm),battery & power (Li-Ion vs. AA), video mode limitation(S70 only has time limited video recording) and the ease of use (a slimmer profile vs. flip-out LCD) you might like to consider.

Rudolf.
orion999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2005, 11:00 AM   #3

Ridolph, THank you for your honest opinion. It sounds to me like you would go for the A610. When you consider the S70 initially sold for over $450 and it is now selling below $300, it is very inticing. Throw in the 7 megapixels and all the features and it sounds like a grea BUY. BUT, Technology is evolving so fast that last years camera might be a dino, especially when you consider the new entry level (or mid level)cameras like the A610 are even better than what they older top of the line models used to be. I do not need a 7 megapixel camera. I think a lot of these are really overkill for the normal everyday user printing 4x6, 5x7, and even 8x10. A five Megapixels camera might be more than enough and the A610 offers a lot of of the similar features the S70 comes with. Any more opinions out there? thanks
mrminsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2005, 12:38 AM   #4

i have an A610 and i really happy wid its performance. fast start up and zoom. the options for manual and automatic mode are just great. i really like this camera and its a good thing that canon offers it at a reasonable price consdering the features packed in it plus the expandibility of adding conversion lenses and slave flash. i enjoy it so much and i always bring it wid me even at school, waiting for a great opportunity to come by and take a shot at it.
kronuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2005, 1:08 PM   #5

I just bought my a610 last weekend and i love it....my fuji e550 got a cracked lcd(never bumped or dropped, so very frustrating), so instead of repair, i went with the 610. It is great, pic quality is awesome, it is very quick, and the flip out is lcd is also a bonus...i previously owned a canon a75 which i also really liked, but of the 3,the 610 is best. Under low light, the pics are still awesome, something that didnt happen with my fuji. I know that i can snapa pic outside at dusk or in my house, and that it will work out. For me , 5 megapixels is more than enough, i actually had 6 on my fuji, but knew that my next camera would probably be no more, if not a little less....Good luck on your decision

sharon
jakoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2005, 4:18 PM   #6

Well refrence the New A model Canons i would just say Ugh no thankyou ,the 610 i looked at it and the 620, it may be new tec but what a bad build they both have cheap dial and switches two different colors of painted plastic the dark grey paint job of the 620 makes the camera look really cheap, the lighter grey of the 610 just a little better but compared to the A 80 i still have one ,or A 95 previous models, these new A series cameras are so dissapointing, the biger lcd of the 610 i saw wasvery loose as well and a bad fitto the body ,cant see anyone taking pride of ownership with this pair even if the performance is inproved the feel and looks are really bad ,and ive read some say the A80 /95 take better pics but this is just my opinion, before you buy its important to try, and to handle the camera that is the golden rule never forget .
rodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2005, 4:18 PM   #7

Well refrence the New A model Canons i would just say Ugh no thankyou ,the 610 i looked at it and the 620, it may be new tec but what a bad build they both have cheap dial and switches two different colors of painted plastic the dark grey paint job of the 620 makes the camera look really cheap, the lighter grey of the 610 just a little better but compared to the A 80 i still have one ,or A 95 previous models, these new A series cameras are so dissapointing, the biger lcd of the 610 i saw wasvery loose as well and a bad fitto the body ,cant see anyone taking pride of ownership with this pair even if the performance is inproved the feel and looks are really bad ,and ive read some say the A80 /95 take better pics but this is just my opinion, before you buy its important to try, and to handle the camera that is the golden rule never forget .
rodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2005, 11:19 PM   #8

Oh wow, Seems like I should re-consider purchasing a Canon to replace my lousy Stylus 600. Which is quite durable, no problems so far, except for quality of images.
twendane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2005, 11:02 PM   #9

i dont know where Rodo has been checking out those canon's that he just mentioned but as far as my opinion goeswid my a610 along mid my digital Rebel XT, the a610/620 are a gud choice for a mid-sized digital camera. anyway, for some of those looking for this kind of models, i suggest u personally check it out and not just take the word of us people here. not all are always ACCURATE and TRUE!
kronuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2005, 2:16 PM   #10

I would go for the A610. It has a twistable display and uses cheap NiMH batteries. Also here in Germany the S70 is still much more expensive than the A610. The only thing I miss, is support for the raw format. In fact, the A620 seems to be the only > 7MP digicam at all without support for a raw format.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote