Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jul 3, 2002, 6:05 PM   #1

Default W98 & A40

Anyone have problems loading the A40 camera software out using Windows 98se. Cannot get computer to recognise my camera. Software appears to load OK, but cannot comunicate w/camera once connected. Inst/Uninst'd 3 times. Changed USB port, but all are working cause have had devices plugged into all. When I used the install new hardware method, kept getting no files not found for your device on Canon CD. Specs indicate that will work w/W98se. Plenty of RAM & processor Any ideas. Thanks AR
A Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 3, 2002, 7:11 PM   #2

A Ridge,
Most products require a driver also for USB with Win98SE, 98, 95B. The "initial" install of any USB device has to be 100% by users manuel, cannot use the ADD hardware for most. Try uninstall of software, check with canon site for updates and slow and easy by the book.
Good Luck,
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2002, 7:55 PM   #3

I've done several USB installs. When I get to the point that it tells me to plug in the camera and turn it on and the process will finish, NADA, just stops. In device manager the A40 is there, but no application can find it. I'll re-read everything including FAQ's from Canon, uninstall everything, and try again tomarrow. Maybe sleep will help. Just though that someone else had figured out the key piece of info that is usually left out of the instructions. Also query out to Canon, but that may take 2-3 days. Knew the install new hardware was probably not going to help, but got to try everything at some point. Anyone else got a clue. Thx AR
Old Jul 3, 2002, 9:10 PM   #4

If you can find it in device manager, single click it, then go down to bottum and select properties. once there click reinstall driver. when it gives you a chance to select location, browse your HD for:
ProgramFiles\Canon\PowerShot A40 TWAIN, after install reboot ........maybe
another thing if your system only has 2 USB ports (port #1 nearest side of computer should always be saved for USB printer) and you have more than 2 devices come out of port#2 with powered HUB and once you install a device in a port keep that port for only that device. Seems to keep them happy and make for easy installs of future USB devices

[Edited on 7-4-2002 by Gary Senkus]
Old Jul 3, 2002, 9:29 PM   #5

OK I'll try that, but probably tomarrow. Working early, so mid afternoon. Let you know if that works. Have a great 4th! Going to try to get some Fireworks shots, even if I can't download them... yet. I'll throw them up on the TV. If they're any good we can all oooh and aaah again. Thx AR
Old Jul 3, 2002, 9:35 PM   #6

Just read your mood. I'd rather be ridin too (horse back rather than bike). Had some nice days here in E OK, a little rainy, but heat and humidity tomarrow on thru weekend. If I get my camera up I'll send a pic of my horse. AR
Old Jul 3, 2002, 9:54 PM   #7

Want to make life real easy? get a usb card reader and then that install does not need to be done, aslo no battery juice taken from camera to get pictures.
Have a good forth,
G
Old Jul 4, 2002, 5:32 AM   #8

Yeah, this idea hit my brain just as I was about to go to sleep. Been wanting one, so may just go by and do that after work today. Now this is a good excuse. But don't you just hate it when it doesn't work like it's supposed too! Going to try to get tons done while no one in the office and no phones ringing this morning. AR