Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

View Poll Results: Which of these cameras would you recommend
A620 3 60.00%
A610 2 40.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 30, 2005, 9:10 PM   #1

I'm confuse as to what to buy?

Questions:

Does 2.4 fps results in better Shutter time?

Does remote capture featureimplies that the A620 can be used as a Web cam?

How is the quality under ideal conditions at 7 mp?

How big of a picture can you develop with a 5 mp?
gberget is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2005, 10:06 PM   #2

Well the 620 does approach the limits of the CCD more than the 610....so fringing may be an issue. I have the A620 after a long debate, but can't test because for some reason I can't transfer from card over my pcmcia adapter. I'd rather not use usb...if I end up having too so be it.

The continuous shutter is measured at different resolutions, I am willing to bet the 610 and 620 are a tie at equal rez or very close. I don't care so much for continuous and would rather use video in that situation (for my needs).

remote capture can be used as a web cam, but probably better for security detail than live....you can get web-surveilance cheap and better than what a single digicam can accomplish.

Not sure due to not being able to DL the pics yet for quality at 7mp, but sample shots out there should tell you.

5mp is generally limited to 11x17...however this is a loose science to most. There are a lot of variables to what makes a 'perfect' 11x17 vs an acceptable one.

Most planning on printing at 11x17 as a common event will be into higher level gear from my experience. Those that aren't doing it commonly are more limited by the printers they purchase.

I think the A610/620 debate is purely pricepoint. $100 between sub $400 cameras is a big jump realistically. I went through that with my wife's SD400 vs SD450 debate until Buy.com dropped it's price to $264 and the lesser model was still at $299.

Å

alkemyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2005, 9:33 PM   #3

Thanks for your answers...

However, do you thinkthat theA620 at 5mp would deliver a better picture than the A610 at 5pm?

gberget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2005, 11:42 PM   #4

gberget wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for your answers...

However, do you thinkthat theA620 at 5mp would deliver a better picture than the A610 at 5pm?

I think they'd be neck and neck...you'd have some features the A620 offers that most will not use.

I just upgraded from a 3.2MP a70 and wanted a A95 but their price is skyrocketing...and I don't think it's really the better camera. The A6X0 offeres a better focal length just to start. the A95 has a few extra modes,but then you are talking DIGIC I vs II which is night and day, better LCDs, the A95 is a little smaller though, but my wife packs a SD450 now , I almost went A610 but I figured for the difference in price the A620 and maybe play with remote I'd give it a shot.

I haven't been able to test fully due to my reader being defective, but if 7.1MP shows fringing, I will back it down a bit .

In reality shooting at 3.2MP (Max on my A70) produced gorgious prints at the 4x6 I use.

alkemyst is offline   Reply With Quote