Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 4, 2005, 11:36 PM   #1

:-)Well I went ahead and picked up the A620 today. I have 2 weeks to try it out. If I don't like it I can return it no questions asked! Are there any defects or queality issues I shouldcheck for immediately? I have graduated from an A70 which served me well for many years.

Thank you!
spud50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 14, 2005, 8:41 AM   #2

Hi Spud,

Well looks like I'm going down the same path - The A70 was a gem but sadly time to move on !!

I very nearly picked up a Ixus 750 (SD550) until I actually picked the thing up in the shop - it's pretty but far too small, can't get a good grip on it !

So Now I'm looking at the A620, would be interested to hear how you get on with it.

Cherrs
rusty78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2005, 11:04 AM   #3

I recently upgraded from the A70 to the A620 and do not regret the decision at all. It's everything I liked about the A70 with more pixels, more zoom, and more speed.

So far, the only negative is the need to changefrom CF cardsto SD cards, which adds a little to the total cost of the upgrade.
DaiButsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2005, 10:39 PM   #4

Same here A70 to A620...night and day actually. My A70 would take bad shots in low light unless I setup the shot manually...

This A620 is taking shots I wouldn't consider under AUTO with the A70 and at levels equal to manual modes. Plus it's fast...real fast.

My wife is finding the same pluses with her SD450 (from a Coolpix 3500).

The camera is a little bigger than an A70...it's noticeable but I like it better. I hate the feel of my wife's elph. I don't want a G series yet and definitely don't want to pack a dSLR for my shot needs now.

Now that said...to save the $100 A610 is a great camera too.

alkemyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2005, 12:23 AM   #5

Ireceived my A620 on Tuesday. So far, I love it. As some of the reviews I read indicated, the red eye can be bad, even with the red eye reduction feature enabled. Also, the digital zoom is noisy, may be a hinderance if you're into photographing wildlife . All in all, I love it thus far . . .
coppertrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2005, 1:47 AM   #6

Red-eye reduction (actually, elimination) is only achieved when you get the flash away from the lens, something that's impossible with a digicam sporting a built-in flash unit- that's why no makercalls that "feature" on a digicamredeye elimination. Marketing hype does not get around what actually works.

What is interesting is the new accessory wirelessflash unit Canon now sellsthat will work with the A620. It would be interesting to know if the A620's built-in flash lowers it's outputwhen used with that separateunit to make the proper exposure. If it does and you mounted it on a bracket away from the camera or simply held it (the flash unit)away from your body that might help get rid ofor reduce redeye quite a bit.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2005, 5:36 PM   #7

Thanks for the info. I also read that it's worse when you're closer to the subject.

The thing that floored me was how "bright" the red eye was. It looked like someone had used photoshop and colored the person's eyes fire engine red . . .

Also, what are the external flashes that can be purchased for the A620?
coppertrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2005, 5:55 PM   #8

Yes, zoom more towards the tele end of the zoom and two things happen. 1- redeye is completely unavoidablewith the built-inflashas upposed to the wide end when you'll sometimes get lucky, and (2) the further you zoom in the further away from the camera an accessory flash needs to be to avoid redeye. The A620 only goes to 140mm, so #2 shouldn't be a problem. It really has only affected me when I've used a longer lens than 200mm or so. If you can just get a flash even 6-8 inches or so away from the lens you almost never have redeye problems.

Check this page of Steve's review:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_.../a620_pg2.html

The interesting part is there is no connection between the flash and camera- they work wirelessly, so you can put it on a different typebracket from the one shown in the picture that gets the flash over the cameraor simply hold it by hand above the camera. Like I mention above, I just don't know how the built-in and separate units work together. The ideal thing would be for the main unit to be the separate unit, meaning the built-in flash would just flash enough to trigger the separate unit, but I don't know that's what happens.

I was at the store today buying a CP510 printer for my parents to use with their A75 and I had a chance to play with the A620 for a while. The on-demand grid lines are a great tool to ensure you keep the camera level and, overall, it's just the fastest operating Canon digicam I've ever tried. Fortunately memory has really gone down in price or I'd be hesitant to buy one because of the switch to SD cards, but it still irks me somewhat since I sit here at home with 5GB worth of CF cards I use with my digital SLR.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2005, 6:24 PM   #9

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
I was at the store today buying a CP510 printer for my parents to use with their A75 and I had a chance to play with the A620 for a while. The on-demand grid lines are a great tool to ensure you keep the camera level and, overall, it's just the fastest operating Canon digicam I've ever tried. Fortunately memory has really gone down in price or I'd be hesitant to buy one because of the switch to SD cards, but it still irks me somewhat since I sit here at home with 5GB worth of CF cards I use with my digital SLR.

The CF vs SD debate had me almost (until I experienced DIGIC II)...if I ever do go dSLR in the short term CF is cheap enough that at the price of lenses shouldn't bother me

I sold off 2GB+ of CF including a 512MB Ultra II that I had bought a couple weeks earlier. A week into my a620 and I am happy of the sacrifice.

I figure future dSLR's by Canon will had an SD port in addition to the microdrive CF ability.

alkemyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2005, 9:47 PM   #10

Sold an A95, have an a620 now. Like the speed, like the extra zoom reach.
Dislike the distortion at wide angle and Very bad redeye.
I have to write an action in photoshop to fix the distortion and add a little sharpening for these shots.
I made a pvc Flash slave holder that blocks on camera flash and triggers my Metz unit. Works great at eliminating redeye and lighting a group of people.
I shoot manual F 5.6 1/320 ISO 50or so with the flash on auto.
Another issue I found while in movie modeis that the lens is close to the grip and my finger nail scrapes the lens trim ring right next to the microphone.creating a real racket. I put some smooth tape on the ring within 2 hours of getting the camera.:idea:
First impression makes me think the A95 lens was sharper but I think Canon may notsharpen the images as much. It seems that Photoshop smart sharpen can do a great job on the images that look a little soft.
If Canon would add Image stabalization It would blow away the competition.
I picked up 2 a620'sfor friends and an A610 as a Christmas gift so I expect to get alot of feedback after New Years Day.
photoz is offline   Reply With Quote