Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 4, 2006, 3:34 AM   #11

Looking at the EXIF data in the sample image, the image was taken at an aperture of f/3.5. From what I've read, and from looking at some images of my own, I suspect that in good light, the sharpest images can be obtained at somewhere in the range f/4.0 and f/5.0. I've just recently switched my S2 to AV mode with safety-shift so that I get more control over the aperture.

mchnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 2:22 AM   #12

if you really want a camera that will take exceptionally sharp images, ( too sharp for my liking), then try the sony Cybershot H1. If you dont mind the bluish tinge it tends to give all the images then this is the one for you!

All features are identical to the S2, even the price.

good luck

gtpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 9:31 AM   #13

Just don't know what you are expecting. Digital requires SOME PP its part of the genre. I sell to my horse clients and they do prefer the 'over saturated' super crisp prints. This is from my 20D and the 70/200 f2.8 lens.

The S2 is a VERY consistant and solid performer.

Suggest you see my thread on this forum...."S2 strikes again"

Image samples at www.pbase.com/jpferguson

Good Shooting to ya' - Jon F.
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2006, 3:42 PM   #14

A friend recently bought a silly litte Sony point and shoot. We compared pictures/quality on his monitor and i wanted to crawl under the couch and hide.

Now if I could only figure out how to turn off " THE FOG EFFECT " of the S2 then maybe I would show my buddy with his pocket Sony camera a thing or two.
videosilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2006, 9:12 PM   #15

Resized but otherwise as seen by my new S2. Seems ok to me.

I'll admit, I'm not real fussy.
RG in Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2006, 5:34 AM   #16

Same with my new S2.

mrcoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2006, 9:04 PM   #17

The difference between the Niagra Falls image and the others posted, is the the Niagra image is through kilometres of atmosphere.

Haze caused by dust, fog, mist (off raging waters), or heat will badly degrade these kinds of shots, it's better to find a composition that requires less zoom so you don't magnify the effects of the atmosphere. This is yet another way that super-zoom cameras provide the means for shooting yourself in the foot.

Here is a crop of the middle off a max-zoom shot taken today - heat haze has badly distorted the image - the full image still looks wonky when reduced to 800x600. Shots earlier in the day, or shots over the cooler sea, look much better.

400mm zoom on things reasonably close (say 20-200 metres) are perfect - so its not the camera.

Attached Images

mchnz is offline   Reply With Quote