Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 5, 2005, 8:01 PM   #1

No matter what is done pictures are always a tad out of focus at best with the S2. The pictures are NOT crisp like they should be for an almost $800.00 camera.

All in all Canon S2 has LOTS of extras but WAY WAY WAY WAY over priced when it comes to performance.
Attached Images

videosilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 6, 2005, 12:27 AM   #2

Wow, you got ripped off, dude. I paid $460 for mine out the door @ Best Buy (IMO an overpriced store as it is).

This out of focus issue has been mentioned before...In fact, I believe the thread starter was you, wasn't it?

The S2 certainly does have a soft focus. I don't think anyone is denying that. But, seriously...there's been a million S2 (full size, mind you) pictures that show this. The images still look damn good. And half the UZ camera's out there produce images of equal quality (at least IMO).

Here is an example for everyone to see just how bad this "out of focus" issue is. I did not resize this image at all, no sharpening!! It is a 100% crop.

If you are not satisfied with this image, then the S2 may not be the camera for you. If not, I'm sorry you have been dissapointed. It sucks to spend so much money and get something you are not happy with. But, you are free to go find another camera model...of which, I'm sure you will be happy with. There are a lot of good camera's out there to choose from.

swgod98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2005, 12:27 AM   #3

Hmm, computer freaked *double post*
swgod98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2005, 3:30 PM   #4

I guess I'm missing it....I don't see how the image is out of focus.

--Jules
greenlantin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2005, 8:01 PM   #5

>> No matter what is done pictures are always a tad out of focus at best with the S2. The pictures are NOT crisp like they should be for an almost $800.00 camera.

Have you tried turning off the 9 point auto focus and going with center spot focus?Does the center spot focus mode on the S2 allowcentering on the subject, pressing the shutter half way and then reframing?

After reading many posts about Canon softness, I'm beginning to think the inteligence of the 9 point auto focus might not be all that smart.

Skylark

skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2005, 2:14 PM   #6

I don't think the S2 has the 9=pint AiAf.
sbddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2005, 12:34 PM   #7

Ok, to be fair the Niagra Falls picture was taken with the zoom way up to grab that picture ( with out the zoom that picture would NOT be possible). The image shows the American side of the Falls and was taken from the Canadian side. Those of you who have never been to Niagra Falls shame on you. Its quite a distance from the Canadian to the American side. That building is barely visible with the eye.

I have noticed the S2 works resonably well with plenty of light ( SUN ), the problem with focusing becomes more apparent with low light conditions. The lower the lighting the more difficult it is to focuse and the porrer results.
videosilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2005, 2:33 PM   #8

I would like to see the full EXIF data on this shot. I have taken similar pictures with WAY better results. Given my experience with this camera, I suspectthis poor picture is theresult of poor setting selections by the user. Show us the EXIF data and your corresponding settings on your camera before you dismiss the ability of the camera.
Risky Business is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2005, 3:44 AM   #9

I would like to share the following link again:

http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo.tcl?photo_id=174567

:-)
silverxme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2005, 8:07 AM   #10

I've had my S2 for 7 months and havent noticed any problems with soft focusing. The camera does take some getting used to but once you are familiar with all of its functions and settings you should be able to achieve pin sharp photos. Still a fine camera if you ask me.
Shaun Geraghty is offline   Reply With Quote