Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Feb 27, 2003, 8:50 PM   #1

Default Additional features in A70?

As there is a big variation in the price of A70 compared to A40 (more than double), will anyone be able to give an indication of the additional features in A70 which the A40 does not have except for the higher resolution (3.2MP).
Mathew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 28, 2003, 8:11 AM   #2

A70: http://www.powershot.com/powershot2/a70-60/index.html
A40: http://www.powershot.com/powershot2/a40-30/index.html

I see:
5 points AF
Faster Processor
Movie with Sound
Direct print with some printers

For my need for that camera that means the A40 is a better deal IMHO
Elrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2003, 2:27 PM   #3

Are you referring to the MRSP prices in the canon news release?

I think the selling prices should be much lower. The "leak" from Walmart said that their price was going to be $298. If that is the real selling price it seems fairly reasonable.

I'm considering my first digital camera purchase, was going to get an A40, but waited for the PMA announcements.
Dave from Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2003, 3:33 AM   #4

Default Canon A40

I too am looking at what the Canon line at the PMA show I will probably buy the A70 but there is a online sale for Canon & other makes with some great savings for us Cunaks, it's called, SoftMagic.ca there is no sales tax only GST & when you get some extras the savings can be quite worth it. They sale the Canon A40 for $392.95 plus GST & shipping which I think is $12.00. check it out.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2003, 2:19 AM   #5

$392.95 for A40 or A70? As far as I know, the A40 is now selling for about $200.
Mathew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2003, 7:51 AM   #6

Jaydee - Thanks. If you hear of a Canadian place that carries the A70, please let me know - I'll do the same for you.

Matthew - The prices in Canada are in our 65 cent dollars, so they cost more Canadian dollars. Its almost worth it to drive to the US and get an A40, but I don't know what duty and other taxes we would be hit with. Thanks though.

Dave.
Old Mar 3, 2003, 4:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew
$392.95 for A40 or A70? As far as I know, the A40 is now selling for about $200.
This is in CDN dollars, anytime you Americans think ohhhhhhhh that too expensive just think of us canadians for a $500.00 US camera we pay close to $1000.00 cdn due to 15 % in taxes plus our cdn dollar is worth crap to yer dollar.
Fer example, the Canon A40 sales for $399.99 cdn. plus 15% tax so its double the price you quoted.
Old Mar 3, 2003, 4:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave from Canada
Jaydee - Thanks. If you hear of a Canadian place that carries the A70, please let me know - I'll do the same for you.

Matthew - The prices in Canada are in our 65 cent dollars, so they cost more Canadian dollars. Its almost worth it to drive to the US and get an A40, but I don't know what duty and other taxes we would be hit with. Thanks though.

Dave.
I will do that, I can only hope that the price is gonna be not over $500.00 or I might have to get the A60 instead of the A70.
I also been told that when you buy over the Internet that there is NO duties just our infamous GST & PST plus shipping is this correct????
Old Mar 3, 2003, 6:35 PM   #9

Jaydee - I don't know about the duty thing, I haven't done a lot of web shopping into the US.

I did visit this site though and found a 64MB compact flash card for like $9.00 US!
http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?dpno=33952

After the shipping, handling and processing of Canadian orders through a service called "borderfree", the costs really add up!

Almost not worth it. After I compare the US retail prices against the Candaian retail prices I may just go for that road trip to the US if I can find a camera/BestBuy/whatever shop with reasonable prices. I may end up going for the A60 as well.

PS - I'm from the Burlinton, Ontario area.
Old Mar 3, 2003, 7:22 PM   #10

Amazon.com has the A60 at US $250 and the A70 at $US 350.
THE MSRPS are $350 & $US 450.

Canon.ca has these MSRP prices for the A60 & A70:
"The PowerShot A60 and A70, which replace the A30 and A40 models, have suggested list prices $495.00 CND and $615 CND.00, respectively, and will be available in March 2003".

I would guess that these babies would sell in Canada for about $100 to $150 less than the MSRPs - I hope so anyways.