Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 14, 2005, 1:45 PM   #1

It's a bit larger than the A75, but not much heavier. Although it feels more plastic, the grip is solid. Overall functioning is much faster than the A75. Battery life is also pretty good. Despite the cold weather, I was able to get over 200 shots onmy NiMH batteries. SD cards take a bit of getting use to, they seem so small and delicate compared to the CF, and you have to wonder howwell they can deal with the cold. So far no problems with the 256mb SD cardI got. Focus seems about twice as fast as my A75, shot to shot time seems even faster. The LCD screen has the advatage of folding out. It doesn't seem as bright as the A75's and I do have to angle the screen upwards slightly to see it in bright sunlight. When it comes to the images, they seem a bit less saturated than my A75. The colors don't seem as bright, but I haven't noticed CA or purple fringing, which my A75 would do in very contrasty situations. Auto and landscape mode both seem to use F4.0 aperture all the time. I don't understand that since generally landscapes should use 5.0 or higher to keep everything in focus, my A75 used 5.6 generally in landscape mode. Vivid mode seems to boost both colors and contrast, on my A75 it just seemed to boost color, but moreso than the A610. Finer details definately seemed abit more pronounced on the A610. But it seems the images from the A610 have two slight"drawbacks". It doesn't seem like there's the same color and brightness across the frame, the edges seem to be slightly dimmer. The top corners seem to be abit blurry and dimmer too. This happens mostly in situations where the photo is being taken in a field toward a stand of trees at full wide angle.

The A610 makes up for those shortcomings though with the 4x zoom, which allows me to get closer to distant subjects. The A610 seems to have better brightness and color at full zoom than the A75. It's hard to say how much better the A610 is than the A75. But the A610 definately gives the user more options and flexibility. I'll post some photos from my A610 in the next message.

pineywoodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 14, 2005, 2:25 PM   #2

TWO photos from last Saturday with the A610.Both were shot in landscape mode, the second with the vivid photo effect. Seems abit dark and blurry in the corners, also the right side of the photo seems darker.

Perhaps it's my monitor, because the photos look much better on the camera's LCD screen.

pineywoodsman is offline   Reply With Quote